• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The all DHT SET Headphone Amp

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK Regal, just to test the spud and transformer idea I'm running it now, listening to Harry Belafonte.

No step up on the input, 4P1L running at 218V on the plate, bias -17.3V, 38mA. OPT is a ratio of 3.75:1 loading the tube at about 5.6K. See below. It works just fine. Enough volume without being crazy. For classical pieces that are recorded at a lower level I'd want more gain. Maybe a 1:2 step up at the input.

The main problem is hum. As the hum at the output stage is reduced only 11dB, it's fairly loud. Need to work on the PSU. From this I would say with the proper OPT, like 5:1 and maybe a step up at the input, the 4P1L spud works just great for 300 ohm cans like the Senhiesser SD series.

Attachments

• 4P1L-HP.png
    4P1L-HP.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 317
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You also need a good mechanical mount in order to avoid vibrations. Mounting tubes directly on the chassis = asking for troubles.
Yep. Mine are mounted on bolts above the chassis with rubber grommets. It helps some. I also just went from an R-C-R-C filter to R-C-L-C and that helps too. More clean up to do.

Other than that, it sounds very nice.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sent mail to Bartolucci asking quotation for OPT SE 5K:300 ohms 15W 70mA, Bartolucci answered if it's only for a dedicated headphone amp can be reduced dimensions OPTs with best perfomance and low price. Power can be around 1W and current Idc reduced to 30mA or less?

N.B. I asked for 307A output stage.

Last edited:
Sent mail to Bartolucci asking quotation for OPT SE 5K:300 ohms 15W 70mA, Bartolucci answered if it's only for a dedicated headphone amp thie can reduce dimensions OPTs with best perfomance and low price. Power can be around 1W and current Idc reduced to 30mA or less?

1W can be enough for headphone amp if you specify it correctly. This means that you need to specify the low frequency where you want that power. That's really important!
In general, when power handling is given without an associated (low) frequency this is 50 Hz by default (i.e. like supply trans).
1W at 50 Hz is not the same thing as 1W at 20 Hz. There is a big difference. In fact if you buy a transformer specified for 1W at 50 Hz it will not handle anything more than 0.15-0.2W at 20 Hz with acceptable distortion.....
A good rule of thumb for SE OPT's is to specify max Pout at 30 Hz, this usually gives best balanced perfomance (because there is high frequency behaviour as well on the other side) with acceptable size.

Last edited:
Yep. Mine are mounted on bolts above the chassis with rubber grommets. It helps some. I also just went from an R-C-R-C filter to R-C-L-C and that helps too. More clean up to do.

Other than that, it sounds very nice.

You really need to try an SSH2, if you can hear any hum at all then it is negatively affecting the sound more so than just annoyance. Are you using coleman rges for the fiament ? Getting rid of the hum an you will be amazed at the overall sq improvement.

Thanks for the report, let us know if you find an input stepup transformer that works without sacrificing treble.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
1W can be enough for headphone amp if you specify it correctly. This means that you need to specify the low frequency where you want that power. That's really important!
In general, when power handling is given without an associated (low) frequency this is 50 Hz by default (i.e. like supply trans).
1W at 50 Hz is not the same thing as 1W at 20 Hz. There is a big difference. In fact if you buy a transformer specified for 1W at 50 Hz it will not handle anything more than 0.15-0.2W at 20 Hz with acceptable distortion.....
A good rule of thumb for SE OPT's is to specify max Pout at 30 Hz, this usually gives best balanced perfomance (because there is high frequency behaviour as well on the other side) with acceptable size.

Thanks for answer, what about the pòwer in mA?