The all DHT SET Headphone Amp - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2013, 01:10 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Fixed typo in chart post #508 had a typo. Added 6sn7-307a
Are you sure 1V 8%?
Old 16th February 2013, 01:27 PM   #512
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Merlin, fixed. Also to much regret as I despise 6DJ8's due to their cost and sometimes sound they're showing a perfect match for the 307A, the distortion is exponentially lower than the other tubes, I hesitate to post yet. The 307A is proving to be a tube that doesn't quit, low distortion low level to very high level.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2stage dht headamp comparo2.png (15.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 16th February 2013, 01:28 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Wich one is the 307A triode connected grid?

-supresor
-screen
-control
Old 16th February 2013, 01:29 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Thanks Merlin, fixed. Also to much regret as I despise 6DJ8's due to their cost and sometimes sound they're showing a perfect match for the 307A, the distortion is exponentially lower than the other tubes, I hesitate to post yet. The 307A is proving to be a tube that doesn't quit, low distortion low level to very high level.
I have a couple of excellent E88CC Russian military, please could you do the simulation?
Old 16th February 2013, 01:31 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Wich one is the 307A triode connected grid?

-supresor
-screen
-control
I am just using a triode model that Iko posted as the purpose of these comarisons are just meant to be relative and determine gain structure of the amp, I believe Control is connected to the grid.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:32 PM   #516
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sure would be nice if someone would build something.
Otherwise, this will become another "Beyond the Ariel" thread.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:41 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

My build is at least 3 months away as that it typically what companies are quoting for the custom transformers. One thread mentioned that a we are considering took a year to deliver transfo's. I want to make dam sure I am set on the tubes /topology before I order $1k worth of iron.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:50 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Sure would be nice if someone would build something.
Otherwise, this will become another "Beyond the Ariel" thread.
Before that happens, a solution has to be found to the transformer problem. Working with loads with Z ranging from 8Ω to 300Ω, or even 8Ω to 64Ω, without sacrificing sound quality, is somewhat beyond an ordinary amp project. There are too many variables, and at least most of them have to be eliminated before starting building, otherwise it will easily become a blackhole for time, money and motivation.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:59 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
Before that happens, a solution has to be found to the transformer problem. Working with loads with Z ranging from 8Ω to 300Ω, or even 8Ω to 64Ω, without sacrificing sound quality, is somewhat beyond an ordinary amp project. There are too many variables, and at least most of them have to be eliminated before starting building, otherwise it will easily become a blackhole for time, money and motivation.
I think a topology/transformer that can deliver a clean 1W into 38 ohms and you have a transformer that will work with 99% of all headphones. If you do the math a parallel resistor for the high ohm phones which are almost all super efficient will be better than a frankenstein transfo with 10 different secondaries.

If we could figure out this balanced drive thing with two secondaries and what the ratio comes out to we could robably even have a nice little speaker amp.
Old 16th February 2013, 02:10 PM   #520
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OK, not my cup of tea, so I'll leave you alone and get back to the 4P1L thread. I've already built, measured and listened to an all DHT-SE headphone amp. Not perfect, but at least real world stuff that tells me a lot.

Since this has turned into a search for the perfect transformer, I really don't have much to contribute. Guess I just get impatient will all the sims and talk, sorry. Too many threads turn into nothing more than talk. I want to solder stuff!

Hide this!Advertise here!