The all DHT SET Headphone Amp - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2013, 04:03 PM   #431
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
One thing I would ask is the 4P1l isn't going to drive the 307a any where near the grid, so why use the mu output of the driver?

Is the intent that one would precede this headamp with a preamp? In that case we would really have a nice design that will cover all.
Is 4P1L drive the 307A OK for headamp & preamp?
Old 12th February 2013, 04:22 PM   #432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Pieter Treurniet has seen this thread. As you may or may not know. Pieter is the owner and winder of Tribute Transformers. He is willing to contribute with his ideas re an output transformer (for instance wrt multiple secundaries to make it more universal as a headphone amp)

But he does need a concrete schematic to be able to do the above.
Pieter was an active member here at diyaudio and I learned a lot about transformer theory from his posts. Seeking for one of his posts these says I saw the 'account disabled by request of member', which I found quite sad. So Pieter, if you are reading this, please come back
Old 12th February 2013, 08:11 PM   #433
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hallo Erik. I can't speak for Pieter. But I will act as a proxy poster for a dht headphone amp. So I'll start a new thread soon. Mainly because I'm not sure this thread is going forward in a particular direction. And also dht tubes deserve nay demand the very best output transformers possible or else what is the point.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk
Old 12th February 2013, 08:48 PM   #434
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not sure this thread is going forward in a particular direction
Did you know dark ale came along because someone forgot the malt in the dryer? Spreading threads can take leaps. I also think the transformer is the main key, tho.

Staffan
Old 12th February 2013, 09:20 PM   #435
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Dark ale is disgusting. This thread will obviously continue its merry way. Nothing will be lost. Maybe there will be cross pollination

Old 12th February 2013, 09:50 PM   #436
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Is 4P1L drive the 307A OK for headamp & preamp?
Not for orthos or old AKG's, the gain is only 8, so the best you' do is drive the 307A all the way with an input sensitivity of 2 Vrms, generally you want an amp to have a sensitivity of under 0.5V to account for low level recordings. Recent measurement I find showed that Hifi man inflates their headphone sensitivity ratngs by 5 to 6 db/mW, this is common in the indusry. I measured my old AKG sextettes to be 7db lower than their sales brochure. This is why we can't design a head phone amp around marketing specs.

Quote:
Dark ale is disgusting. This thread will obviously continue its merry way. Nothing will be lost. Maybe there will be cross pollination

I agree the output transformer is the key.

This thread we have shown that the 4P1L is not enough power for all the top50 dynamic headphones. The 2A3 is good for all but 2, and the 307A/PX4 good for all dynamic headphones. Also the 307A/PX4 offers the lowest low level distortion as an output vs anything short of a gm70.

We can can continue arguing about the gain/driver stage but I think it comes down to a personal choice, ie its not possible to drive a 307A to its fullest via a DHT, some will resort to an extra gain stage, some to IDHT's, some will drive an input transformer with their DAC, and some don't need the extra gain.

So I think we are done with our meandering for the output tube and hence are ready for a transformer spec for a 307A/PX4 (for those of us who can't find a PX4 or 307A the 2A3 can generally use the same OPT.)

Gaining a transformer designer's interest was a hidden agenda with this thread, so I think it good for a spin-off thread to focus on a world class headphone output transformer.

I vote for permalloy (nickel) parafeed. The loss in power and low level detail from secondary DCR/inductance with headphone impedances is something I haven't found "speaker" transformer designers to overcome with singlefeed iron cores. Just an example the last 5k/32 ohm transformer I had wound had a secondary DCR of 12 ohms, so over 33% loss in power from the resistive divider formed between the secondary and the voicecoil. This results in more distortion since the tubes work hard for the extra 33% output to hold the same volume and the distortion kills detail.

Last edited by regal; 12th February 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:30 PM   #437
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I certainly would not want parafeed, but don't let that stop you.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:38 PM   #438
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I certainly would not want parafeed, but don't let that stop you.
I don't want parafeed either but I don't see a means to avoid it, I see it as a necessary evil with headphones.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:16 AM   #439
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Really, why?
Old 13th February 2013, 04:17 AM   #440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Just an example the last 5k/32 ohm transformer I had wound had a secondary DCR of 12 ohms... I don't want parafeed either but I don't see a means to avoid it, I see it as a necessary evil with headphones.
If 2A3 class tube is considered, then consider transformers like LL1623: 4x13.4 : 8x1 turns ratio, 0.4 Ohm per each secondary, so if all in series that is 3.2 Ohm. LL1620 and LL1627 provide higher and lower turns ratio respectively, with the same secondaries. Is neither of these really an option here, with so many ways to connect primaries and commutate secondaries for different headphones?

Hide this!Advertise here!