The all DHT SET Headphone Amp - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 06:53 PM   #201
работник
diyAudio Member

Could be a tap, though I should say that having its own trafo is not overdoing it! Even with CCS loading, the silence of the power supply is of top importance.

Shunt regulator is good value in a stage that only draws 7mA - the overall regulator dissipation can be modest.
Old 4th February 2013, 07:12 PM   #202
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I found 3A5 not that linear when swinging lots of voltages, good for low level signals though.
How many volts are you looking the 3A5 to swing?
Ale
Old 4th February 2013, 07:17 PM   #203
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The 4P1L has a gain of about 10 in my output stage, so take that as a starting point.
Old 4th February 2013, 07:29 PM   #204
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can try it yourself. Here is the spice model I created for the pair of 3A5 triodes in parallel:

http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2013...dht-continued/

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but 3A5 is better suited for low signal (e.g. Preamps, etc.)

Ale
Old 4th February 2013, 07:37 PM   #205
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I'm in agreement with Ale on this one. I've considered 3A5 for a long time for input duty, and it's excellent as long as you don't feed it too much swing. Plus, I don't see anything wrong with driving the 4P1L output with a triode connected 4P1L. Should work for most headphones at volumes that your ears will be sore. Different story for a power amp. Pano, which headphones exactly are you planning to use?
Old 4th February 2013, 07:58 PM   #206
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogliaa View Post
I found 3A5 not that linear when swinging lots of voltages, good for low level signals though.
How many volts are you looking the 3A5 to swing?
Ale
Used as input in a 3 stage amp should be fine otherwise I tried to say this implicitly some posts ago talking about the ECC40.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:49 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

The 3a5 is a very decent sounding DHT but not a great one. Another similar mu one is the 1J6 - it has a fuller and meatier sound. The sections are not usually too well balanced, however. It can sound good. But not in the class of the 26 and 4P1L to my ears. I've used all these.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:45 PM   #208
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
Two stages, both with 4P1L would be just fine IMHO.
Pano says it has a gain of 10. IMO that is quite high for the very efficient Sennheisers. For reference I have a Beta22 here with voltage gain of 6, and with my 2vrms output DAC I am rarely past 10 o'clock on the volume.

I'm using Pete Millet's calculator to gauge output levels. It doesn't seem like I will need more than 300 mw of output, I'm trying to keep the transformers as small as possible and considering using custom wound Electra-Print or Sowter.

Last edited by jpak; 4th February 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:51 PM   #209
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
dphones at volumes that your ears will be sore. Different story for a power amp. Pano, which headphones exactly are you planning to use?
Sennheiser HD580. Nominally 300 ohms. I can drive them to quite satisfactory levels with a 25:1 OPT terminated with 8 ohms and the headphones. They won't knock your ears off, but for most materials it's plenty loud.

Some of my lower impedance cans, like JVC, don't get as loud at the same setting.
Old 4th February 2013, 11:14 PM   #210
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

And you want higher gain so that you can use your existing transformer into an 8R load?

Hide this!Advertise here!