• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

az1 rectifier, chokes and caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm using an AZ1 rectfier for my cd enhancer II

http://www.ultranalog.com/cdenhancer/cdenhancer2_3a5.pdf

After the choke (i'm using a 10 H 100ma), is there a limit to how much capacitance one can use? I know the specs state 60uf and 60ma max.

I have recently added a couple of polpy-p bypass caps (4.7uf each to this cap) after the choke and resistors on the circuit, I may be wrong but it appears the filament is a bit hotter (brighter red).

Also what happens when 2 equal valued chokes are put in // ?

I asume that the dc resistance halves, but what about the rating in Henry's, and also the added load if any to the rectifier tube? (I ask as there are some quite cheap but reasonable chokes available over here so using another as well is not too expensive).

Thanks
raja

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LEAVING WELL ENOUGH ALONE????

Hi,

After the choke (i'm using a 10 H 100ma), is there a limit to how much capacitance one can use? I know the specs state 60uf and 60ma max.

Push it and the rectifier will arc over...not something I'd experiment with on such a nice rectifier as the AZ1...

I have recently added a couple of polpy-p bypass caps (4.7uf each to this cap) after the choke and resistors on the circuit, I may be wrong but it appears the filament is a bit hotter (brighter red).

You must be dreamin'...stop smoking.

Also what happens when 2 equal valued chokes are put in // ?

DCR would divide by the number of chokes, inductance would be the same as for a single inductor.

I asume that the dc resistance halves, but what about the rating in Henry's, and also the added load if any to the rectifier tube? (I ask as there are some quite cheap but reasonable chokes available over here so using another as well is not too expensive).

Use the chokes differently to extract an advantage...

Cheers,;)

Re: LEAVING WELL ENOUGH ALONE????

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Push it and the rectifier will arc over...not something I'd experiment with on such a nice rectifier as the AZ1...

You must be dreamin'...stop smoking.

DCR would divide by the number of chokes, inductance would be the same as for a single inductor.

Use the chokes differently to extract an advantage...

Cheers,;)

Gave smoking up years ago, perhaps there are still flashbacks, could swear it's brighter........

Any clues as to how to use the chokes 'differently'?

Thanks Frank

Raja

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

could swear it's brighter........

Unless you were witnessing a voltage surge on the mains, I don't see how.

Any clues as to how to use the chokes 'differently'?

If you want to use more chokes, put them in series, NOT // and adjust the B+ voltage accordingly.

You now have a CLCRC filter, you could turn that into a CLCLC one.

If you feel like experimenting, you can also put chokes in the ground line.

Cheers,;)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> DCR would divide by the number of chokes, inductance would be the same as for a single inductor.

Inductance would be half, no?

That is assuming no magnetic coupling. With iron-core chokes, there won't be enough coupling to screw-up power supply estimates.

For the 3A5 plan, a 100mA choke seems way over-sized. Two in parallel don't make any sense. Does it hum? Unlikely with those cap values and push-pull output. I don't see any point in messing with the chokes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.