Can output transfomers be pick and mixed? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 01:48 AM   #1
surfstu is offline surfstu  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Can output transfomers be pick and mixed?

I'm salvaging an old heathkit S99 amp. I just want to use the output transformers for a DIY power amp project.

Can i Just find another push pull ecl86 design and use the OT's?

I've attached the schematics for the old S99 and one for an AI series 300 amp that i intend to copy.

The final stages of the outputs on both schematics look similar, does this mean I can just swap out the OT's

Any advice much appreciated....

Stu
Attached Images
File Type: gif ai300mk2.gif (14.8 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg heathkit s99.jpg (238.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 24th January 2013, 02:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not familiar with the S99, but looking at the data sheet for the ECL86, I would assume those xfmrs have an 8K - 9K primary. Should work just fine.

I'm sure you noticed that the S99 is connected UL and the AI is pentode connected. Should not make a difference with regard to the transformer impedance.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Since the transformer has screen taps, you can connect it in UL as Heath did. Expect to adjust the value of the compensation capacitor(s) in the feedback network. The AI circuit includes one more stage in the feedback loop, and has a higher level of feedback.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I recommend you to copy the Heathkit schematic. It is more advanced and gives better performance. The main advantages are UL-connection and separate bypassed cathode resistors. Also the cathodyne phase splitter used by Heathkit is more straightforward and trouble free.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for the replies, I have already scrapped the idea of the AI 300 for these transformers.

I have found a schematic based on the original baby huey amp that used the ecl86, this also operated in ultra linear mode. It is not clear so I have requested a copy of the scematic from Gingertubes who produced it....
Old 24th January 2013, 03:40 PM   #6
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe the original ECL86 was by Yves:

Push Pull ECL86/6GW8

Although he used straight PP and not U.L. as his religion forbids it.
Old 24th January 2013, 04:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, thats the original schematic by Yves, Gingertubes did a UL version and it seems to fit perfectly with my S99 transformers that have screen taps

I was under the impression that if UL is possible then it will be better (However, I don't really know what i'm talking about, just remember hearing it somewhere!)

Maybe I should just build the el84 PP version and leave the screen taps off the transformers? I kinda like the idea of recycling the ecl86's but don't rerally want to compromise on sound quality...
Old 24th January 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I recommend designing the amp so that you can switch between U.L. and pentode, (Just don't switch while it is powered up.) and decide for yourself.

The ECL86s are fine sound-wise. The difference in power between EL84pp and ECL86pp is not that great, and if you limit it to the transformer design as a constraint (ECL86) it will be the same.
Old 24th January 2013, 05:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thankyou Mr Gimp, I will stick with the ecl86's

I just found Gingertubes schematic,

The reason I want to use it is because if I'm honest - I will just be copying the design identically.... painting by numbers....

I want to use the S99 OT's, i'm just not sure if the screen taps are 20% or 40%... will this matter?

cheers Stu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giantkiller.jpg (87.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 24th January 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Also my secondaries are 0 - 3ohm - 15ohm, the schematic uses 0 and 4ohm for feedback... will this matter? Do i just use 0 and 15ohm for feedback and connect speakers to 15ohm?

I am insane attempting this schematic? Any offers of a simpler ecl86 for my transformer spec would also be welcome!!

Stuart

Hide this!Advertise here!