Is This a good Amplier? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 09:24 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Mariusmssj,

why do you want to build this "hybrid" amp? is it (like asked few posts back) to have a "tube" amp?

if it's just because you want to build an amp, and it doesn't have to be with a tube then maybe you should buy a kit (ebay) without the tube, although these are not the best they will sound okay.

few years back i did order, something similar to this on ebay. it looked nice but it sounded terrible. with lots of hummmmmmmm.

as I look back it would have been better to safe my money and learn more about tubes, schematics and electronics first.
and then just build the thing from scratch, all tube. you don't need that much parts, you don't even need a pcb.

maybe to start restore an old tube amp would be best way to learn and the cheapest way to start and have an real tube amp.

be careful though, high voltages and all that.... Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by mrneedle; 22nd January 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:26 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
It says 24VAC transformer right on the page. You want around ~35VDC rectified. I would rather use an SMPS, though.

Would you be able to recommend a specific one?
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrneedle View Post
Hi Mariusmssj,

why do you want to build this "hybrid" amp? is it (like asked few posts back) to have a "tube" amp?

if it's just because you want to build an amp, and it doesn't have to be with a tube then maybe you should buy a kit (ebay) without the tube, although these are not the best they will sound okay.

few years back i did order, something similar to this on ebay. it looked nice but it sounded terrible. with lots of hummmmmmmm.

as I look back it would have been better to learn more about tubes, schematics and electronics first.
and then just build the thing from scratch, all tube. you don't need that much parts, you don't even need a pcb.

maybe to start restore an old tube amp would be best way to learn and the cheapest way to start and have an real tube amp.

be careful though, high voltages and all that.... Click the image to open in full size.

That sounds reasonable I was looking as buying this old amp and then upgrading the components.

I have new high interest in electronics but I haven't done much at all(Still learning the basics), that's why I want to learn more. Amps is my new interest.
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:02 AM   #14
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Chip amp with an FX box bolted on the front. With a low supply rail voltage and a very low load (500ohms!) the main effect of the CF is to add 2nd order distortion.

Yes 500ohms, because the 1K cathode resistor and the 1K input resistor to the chip are in parallel as far as the cathode is concerned.

Sorry, I got it wrong. The main effect of the CF is to boost sales by kidding people that they are buying genuine 'tube sound'. To be honest, anyone who likes the sound produced by such a circuit would be disappointed by the far better sound from a proper valve ampliifer or even a proper hybrid circuit. Building this circuit with expensive components would be like putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys for a clear feedback
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

In my studio, I run a LM3886/6N11 (er 6DJ8) hybrid as a monitor amplifier. It's a cheap Dun Mei unit from China. No, it's not a real tube amplifier, but it's not bad either. I threw in a cheap Matsushita 6DJ8 which was a minor improvement over the stock tube. The amp has been surprisingly reliable, even though the factory wiring inside looks like an 8th graders science project.

So yeah, it will be a nice little project, but just don't expect the world from it.
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:27 PM   #17
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Look at Motorola Engineer George Anderson's PCB board kit of parts to populate it for $100 to build a really nice EL84 PP amp with about 17W/CH.

Edcor 25W ,7.6K primary , 8 ohm secondary a suitable PS trans would cost an additional $150.

Needed tubes with JJEL84 or Russian military types recommended for Output Tubes. Total cost $80-85

Under $350 for a really nice sounding amp that will keep you happy for many years!

You may source affordable iron in the UK or nearby country as that's where it looks like your from also.

His site is called tubelab.com and he has a form here for lts of help.

He also sells PCB's for a DHT set amp and SE amp. You can get up to around 10W/CH and lots of happy builders here.

Anyway try tubes , and you won't regret it sonically! They're easy to fix and get parts for down the road also!

Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!