• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6146B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have quite a few of these tubes. Anywayz, my step-son is moving into his first "real" place and I decided to build him a valve audio amp and a set of speakers for a house-warming (pun intended) gift.

I've been tinkering around with just the 6146B (just driving it with my iPhone) and I'm quite pleased with the sound.

I plan to drive the 6146B with a 1/2 a 12AX7, so more to follow.

Now your showing your age.....

N4BBQ, "220mc", you know a lot of these new younger kids in this audio forum may not understand megacycles..... I remember when 220mc was a big deal. Hope you enjoy working with the 6146 tubes as I have a fond memory of them. W7KXW (aka Mickeystan)

N4BBQ, "220mc", you know a lot of these new younger kids in this audio forum may not understand megacycles.....

I just never like that Hz mess. haha

Mickeystan said:
Hope you enjoy working with the 6146 tubes as I have a fond memory of them. W7KXW (aka Mickeystan)

I'll tell you that glowing plate makes me want to build up an AM transmitter. That'll be a good project for retirement.

My step-son came in when I was working on the "prototype" and he was grinning ear to ear.

Thanks for chiming in. Maybe we'll meet on the luminiferous ether one of these days.

Well I found a few 6SL7s so its out with the 12AX7 driver, and in with these. It sounds pretty darn good, although the OPT I'm using is a power transformer from a UPS (125VAC/16VAC).

I have some Edcor ones on order. They should be here in a few weeks.

I really like the 6146, with the exception of the low screen grid voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.