• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ef86 based preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Funky with C1 and R3 across the anode load on V1. Looks like they may have had some issues with RF oscillations on the input stage. Or didn't want such oscillations to return in issues in the field.

Just an observation....

~Tom

I think you meant C1, R1... By funky, you meant classic, right? :D

"A CR network (C1, R1) shunting the anode load produces an advance in phase which increases the stability of the amplifier at high frequencies."

More here >> Mullard 5-10

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
R1 is the 1M resistor on the input. What does that have to do with the anode load?

I was referring to the schematic linked on my second post - it turns out it's different from the earlier schematic I posted, sorry about that... Same idea though, R1 & C1 refer to this Mullard schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jaz

I can't think of any situation where the gain of a ef86 in a preamp would be anything but a disadvantage. It then requires copious amounts of negative feedback to kill the gain - and a preamp is definiately one of those situations where there is little need for feedback.
This tube has no other place than a phono preamp in my opinion.

Shoog

I can't think of any situation where the gain of a ef86 in a preamp would be anything but a disadvantage. It then requires copious amounts of negative feedback to kill the gain - and a preamp is definiately one of those situations where there is little need for feedback.
This tube has no other place than a phono preamp in my opinion.

Shoog
I would agree (or a Mic or tapehead preamp) and even then It will be noisier than a decent ECC83 stage.
Why not strap it as a triode to reduce the gain?

The OP was asking about preamps, so why post circuits for power amps?

The network at the anode of the EF86 is to stop feedback loop instability (typically in the low ultrasonic region); the input stage itself is very unlikely to suffer from RF instability.

The EF86 has no place in a modern line stage, as it has far too much gain. Keep a few as spares (for your phono preamp?) and sell the rest so you can buy more suitable valves.

I have used this one from Svetlana as a preamp in my headphone amplifier, and it works very well.

EF86.jpg

Triode connected EF86 has gain comparable to any medium mu triode and thus can be used easily with some NFB, which improves the linearity as well.

It is possible to achieve vanishingly small distortion in a preamp stage without any negative feedback - so why would you use it.
Any of the more appropriate line amp tubes such as the ECC99 or 5687 can deliver orders of magnitude more current drive which will address far more problems than using a weedy EF86.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.