Single stage line with anode-cathode feedback - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2013, 03:13 PM   #31
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, the input impedance is 100k if that's the grid input resistor. The grid becomes a virtual ground.

Agreed, a pentode is a better choice, but revintage's challenge was for an ECC88.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:40 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
As I explained, I meant a simple inverting triode stage with plate to grid feedback resistor. It's an anode follower, strictly speaking, only if it's unity gain.

100k input resistor, 400k plate to grid resistor. I'd CCS load the plate and use an LED in the cathode, but there's a lot of other options to get the open loop gain up to near the mu of the tube.

So... we have the same output impedance, same distortion, high input impedance, but no opamp and supplies.
If you refer to the Boegli articles he showed that the anode follower was useful because you could have other than unite gain with the circuit. The anode follower with unite gain is a fish out of sea water so to speak. The cathode follower thus gain favor in use in tube circuits. The anode follower is helpful if it is used as other than unite gain . As Charles' article showed .
Old 21st January 2013, 03:50 PM   #33
diyAudio Moderator

I haven't seen the Boegli article, but in my own designs, I use cathode followers; I named that as one of the options here as well.

This exercise was just for the benefit of revintage- and, of course, the children. Single stage, gain of 4, inverting, using an ECC88.
Old 21st January 2013, 06:17 PM   #34
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

My preamp is an anode follower: -25 dB NFB, gain is 2, output Z is 260 Ohms. Input Z is 100K, high enough for today's standards. I don't know what revintage means by limited bandwidth.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:04 PM   #35
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
I don't know what revintage means by limited bandwidth.
Gain of the stage is 4, so the effective Cin is 4*Cag + Cgk. Cag is about 1.4pF, Cgk is about 3.5pF, so the 100k input resistor feeds an effective capacitance of about 9pF. Using f3 = 1/(2piRC), the stage has a -3dB frequency of about 175kHz. Fine for audio, maybe less so for video.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:11 PM   #36
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the stage has a -3dB frequency of about 175kHz. Fine for audio, maybe less so for video.
Mine is 154kHz, I think I'm fine.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:24 PM   #37
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hmh, let me briefly go back to the beginning of the thread since it seems no one mentioned one possibly obvious view of revintage's circuits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
You do realise that the whole point of negative feedback is that a resistor has much less distortion than an active device? Putting active devices in the feedback chain seems perverse.
Actually, how about using the same type active device to provide an equal-but-oposite nonlinear function by putting it into the feedback loop, thereby implementing an error cancellation scheme? There is prior art (supertriode)...
Old 21st January 2013, 11:30 PM   #38
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, the input impedance is 100k if that's the grid input resistor. The grid becomes a virtual ground.
Only if the gain of the triode was 'infinite' as it is, it's closer to 20 or so without NFB - so the input impedance is higher than 100k. Also, with a 400k feedback resistor the gain will be lower than 4 for the same reason. Still, this does not change appreciably the principle that is being shown.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:52 PM   #39
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilimzn View Post

Actually, how about using the same type active device to provide an equal-but-oposite nonlinear function by putting it into the feedback loop, thereby implementing an error cancellation scheme? There is prior art (supertriode)...
That was actually commercialized some years back (maybe the 1980s?). Can't remember the name of the company- they did things like put multiple solder joints, opamp buffers, and phono cartridges in feedback loops.

Open loop gain with a CCS load and a 400k feedback resistor (as load, not returned to grid) will be quite close to mu (35), so the input impedance won't be much higher than 100k- but as you point out, it WILL be a bit higher and gain will be a bit lower than 4.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:04 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilimzn View Post
Hmh, let me briefly go back to the beginning of the thread since it seems no one mentioned one possibly obvious view of revintage's circuits...
Really? My joke on the first page covered this aspect. :-)

Quote:

Hide this!Advertise here!