Single stage line with anode-cathode feedback - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2013, 07:04 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Moi, grumpy? No, I am amused. Several of us have tried to explain why it is a bad idea, yet you seem unconvinced. If you don't welcome comments, why post your idea?
Old 19th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Loren 42,

Since when can you get NFB with a resistor from anode to cathode? That makes PFB in my book!

Quote:
It's like using a framing hammer to nail tacks. Of course it will work, but it is a waste of hammer.
Canīt find those words in my electronic dictionary. Why not explain in electronic terms instead?
Old 19th January 2013, 07:44 PM   #13
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I notice that there is an opamp in the circuit? Yikes!
Old 19th January 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Moi, grumpy? No, I am amused. Several of us have tried to explain why it is a bad idea, yet you seem unconvinced. If you don't welcome comments, why post your idea?
Not grumpy, hmm? Donīt know where you found your info, but of the above posts there is noone who have even tried to explain. Certainly not you! To say that "an active device in a feedback loop is perverse" is no explanation, neither that a "resistor has lower distortion than an active device".

So why not try again.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Hmmm Interesting! It may be advertised as "Opamp Distortion Compensator". Or "Anti-Distorter" :-)

Edit: add "Anti-Triode" here and call it "Straight Wire Amplifier" :-)
Old 19th January 2013, 08:55 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage
Donīt know where you found your info, but of the above posts there is noone who have even tried to explain. Certainly not you! To say that "an active device in a feedback loop is perverse" is no explanation, neither that a "resistor has lower distortion than an active device".

So why not try again.
It might be boring to repeat myself. Re-read the thread, including the pieces you have quoted from me. If you don't recognise any explanation then I don't think we can help you.
Old 19th January 2013, 09:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Could someone remind me what the Farnell part number is for an "ideal inverter"?
I check there out of stock and have been discontinued . They however have promised a digital version that is said to be better than ideal and lower noise.
Old 19th January 2013, 09:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks. "Better than ideal" - so it will improve the music, correct for studio errors etc., just like some high-end gear?
Old 19th January 2013, 11:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Jokes aside.
Nothing is wrong with this topology. With -1 gain opamps work pretty nice, so why not to use such a buffer to add feedback to the single tube stage? However, opamp saturation will cause quite nasty distortions, high peaks instead of flatter tops.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:57 PM   #20
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

DF96, for someone with internet access you have a refreshingly innocent idea of "perverse" !

As Wavebourn points out, "with -1 gain opamps work pretty nice".

None of the naysayers are actually coming up with noise figures for this topology versus another that offers high z-in using a single valve, perhaps they might care to do so? Quantification before condemnation might be sensible.

As for distortion, it comes in two flavours, the sound the user likes and the one he doesn't. This doesn't in any case look like it's going to suffer overly from noise or distortion, given a sane implementation, so to dismiss it as 'pointless' seems both arrogant and rude to me - a shame to see that attitude from a moderator, SY.

On a practical note, it might be worth protecting the inputs of the op-amp from their max differential voltage being exceeded as C2 charges at switch on.

Hide this!Advertise here!