Direct heated triode (dht) cathode bypass: different options - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
repycte is offline repycte  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Direct heated triode (dht) cathode bypass: different options

Hi, I recently started building a tubeamp, based on a pair of 6c4c direct heated triodes.

Looking at how cathode bypassing is done most of the time (Option 1 in the picture), I thought why not using the proposed option 2. Using this kind of bypassing cancels the degeneration caused by the humpot.

What do you think? Why isn't bypassing done like that?
Neglecting the degeneration caused by the humpot is not a reason not to use option 2.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by repycte; 18th January 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 18th January 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you heat with AC, as I assume you do by those schematics, then the option 2 would have both filament connections at the same AC potential, hence no current thru filament and no tube operation.

With DC filaments (smartest choice with regards to fidelity and also hum) you could use option 2.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The best option is to use no cathode bypass. Bypasses do degrade the sound audibly, and there are other options:
1) Fixed bias
2) Filament bias
3) Ultrapath

Fixed bias needs a very clean supply. Rod Coleman has suggested using his filament boards to give a voltage across something like a 47K resistor. I haven't tried this but intend to. I never got ultrapath to sound that good so discarded that.

My solution was filament bias, but 6C4C will need a herculean DC supply. So I used a pair of 4P1L instead. Details of how to do this are in the 'yet another 4P1L SE' thread.

Personally I consider cathode bypass caps to be unacceptable and I'd do anything to not use them.

andy
Old 19th January 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I already built a DC filament supply based on a LT low drop regulator. Using this supply I can only switch to fixed bias.

I will have a closer look at filament bias. Although I already used very big film caps for bypassing.

I chose the 6C4C for testing and later replacing by 300Bs, as I have no experience building tube power amplifiers, only preamps.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
If you have about 126 x 2 cheap red LEDs you can use it for biasing 6C4C. (lot of soldering and space used) - I tested it in my 6C4C amp (search for C3g + 300b thread). Replaced RC cathode combo. Improvement is huge.
Get familiar with Steve Bench's article on DHT bias.
Effects of AC Heating Power Applied to Directly Heated Triodes
Old 19th January 2013, 04:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I forgot about the red LEDs or indeed other things like diodes. Some report good results with these. No bypass cap.
Old 19th January 2013, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Andy,

That is approx. 2h soldering. But I think worth the effort
Old 19th January 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I will try some LEDs. Used them only in preamps, but bypassed them with filmcaps. Will look for some that can take the 40-60mA needed for the 6c4c.

I prefer SMD types, as this large amound of LEDs is soldered faster using a reflow oven.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I used cheap red LEDs measured Vf= 1.84 V @ 29mA. 4 rows 26 LEDs each.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Ultrabright blue LEDs make the task easier as fewer are required, though they are ridiculously bright.

Hide this!Advertise here!