• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wiring up 3 6.3 Volt Heaters to a 12V supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

My tube amp project involves 3 6BQ7A tubes, and I will use a 12VDC supply for the heaters. I'm wondering if the best choice would be to:

A) Use a voltage divider with high Wattage resistors to drop the voltage down to 6.3 and wire the tubes in parallel from that supply.

B) Wire two tubes' heaters in series, and have one tube's heaters in parallel with one of those two tubes. I am unsure of the consequences this approach, and it seems unconventional.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Just use a 12BQ7A, same tube but uses a 12.6 Volt heater..........

___________________________________________________Rick...

I tried searching eBay, but there don't seem to be any for sale... These I also have in my hand, so I'd like to use them if possible :)

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/6bq7a.pdf

Each heater takes 0.4 amps, so at 12 volts, I should use a 30Ohm, 5Watt resistor, just to confirm:

+12V ---^--^--- GND
+12V ---R--^-- GND

Where ^ = 6.3V heater, R = 30Ohm, 5Watt resistor.

or

+12V ---^--\/--^--- GND
+12V ---R--/\--^-- GND

Where ^ = 6.3V heater, R = 30Ohm, 5Watt resistor., and the wires cross at \/ and /\

Last edited:
The filaments are not strictly identical between tubes. If you wire them in series, one tube may end up at 5.7v and the other at 6.3...
The right voltage if you want the maximum performance is 6.3V, not 6 or less. Yes, it's only a 5% difference, but it does have an influence on the tube's parameters and lifespan.
It didn't matter in the 60's because there were millions of spare tubes around and they didn't have good and cheap voltage regulation... But today we should do better!

Why not doing it the right way??
Buy an adjustable DC-DC LM2596 converter module ($3 on ebay), it's good for 2 Amperes and wire the heaters in parallel.

Use the first connection in post 4: one leg with two heaters in series, the other leg with heater plus resistor, and no cross-connection. Omitting the cross-connection will reduce the warm-up stress on the heater which would otherwise be placed in parallel with R, and will avoid any similar stress created if R goes open circuit.

Although (unlike 4BQ7A and 5BQ7A) the 6BQ7A does not have a controlled warmup heater it should be OK in short series heater strings.

The filaments are not strictly identical between tubes. If you wire them in series, one tube may end up at 5.7v and the other at 6.3...
The right voltage if you want the maximum performance is 6.3V, not 6 or less. Yes, it's only a 5% difference, but it does have an influence on the tube's parameters and lifespan.
It didn't matter in the 60's because there were millions of spare tubes around and they didn't have good and cheap voltage regulation... But today we should do better!

Why not doing it the right way??
Buy an adjustable DC-DC LM2596 converter module ($3 on ebay), it's good for 2 Amperes and wire the heaters in parallel.

That's....actually a good point. LM317s could also go up to 1.5Amp..... I think I'll go with this method as I have voltage regulator chips lying around, and no 30 Ohm 5Watt resistors (I was planning on using 3 10 Ohm sandbars I already had). Thanks for the help!

I'll do some more research into heater power specifics to understand DF96's proposal to keep the knowledge for when I run out of chips :)

Each 6bq7a uses 400mA each. That is 1.2A total. Lets not for get the inrush current involved with cold tubes, I don't doubt each tube's current draw would exceed 1A when cold.

A LM317 can barely handle 1.5A in absolutely prefect conditions. In practice I only trust them up to 1A. I would recommend if you wish to go this route, you have a voltage regulator for each tube. Each voltage regulator would in turn need a fairly large heat sink.

Each 6bq7a uses 400mA each. That is 1.2A total. Lets not for get the inrush current involved with cold tubes, I don't doubt each tube's current draw would exceed 1A when cold.

A LM317 can barely handle 1.5A in absolutely prefect conditions. In practice I only trust them up to 1A. I would recommend if you wish to go this route, you have a voltage regulator for each tube. Each voltage regulator would in turn need a fairly large heat sink.

Use 3 317 or use one TL1083

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.