Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2013, 08:39 PM   #51
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrown View Post
Okay, just be prepared for a "milk down" at some point... :-)
Too funny!

Yeah, so far it has been running without fail for a few years now.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:00 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am confused. Are you saying the FET B+ should be ≤ 135 VDC?
No, the FET buffer needs not less than 135 VDC. Getting 160 V. with a cap. I/P filter from SS bridge rectified "120" VAC is easy. However, if you regulate the rail, some drop has to occur.

As the other posters have indicated, the PSU in the PAS can't support more than that circuitry already present. For Pete's sake, Mouser charges all of $11.20 for a Triad N-68X. Being frugal is good. Being cheap to the point of "shooting yourself in the foot" is bad.
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:10 AM   #53
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Duttman View Post
No, the FET buffer needs not less than 135 VDC. Getting 160 V. with a cap. I/P filter from SS bridge rectified "120" VAC is easy. However, if you regulate the rail, some drop has to occur.

As the other posters have indicated, the PSU in the PAS can't support more than that circuitry already present. For Pete's sake, Mouser charges all of $11.20 for a Triad N-68X. Being frugal is good. Being cheap to the point of "shooting yourself in the foot" is bad.
Hey, I just noticed I have a PS transformer rated a 325-0-325 VAC & 12 VAC @ 2.5 Amps sitting in a drawer.

I don't know the current for the HV secondaries, but it has to be more than the PAS transformer as the transformer is bigger than the stock PAS.

Does anyone know if this transformer suitable for a replacement for the stock unit?

If so, it might also be a source for the 160 VDC for the FET.
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:07 AM   #54
smbrown is offline smbrown  United States
diyAudio Member

WAY too high on secondary voltage for the design being proposed. You could use a choke input filter to improve current but then you have to stick a choke in there. Just get an appropriate tfr.

Hide this!Advertise here!