• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

TooB NooB: Options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Mine is called a MingYue Mini from eBay. It comes with 6N1 driver tubes and 6P14P output tubes. I replaced with Amperex 6DJ8 and GE EL84s, but the stock 6N1s are actually very good.

Receivers are often overrated for power. "50W" is at best 20W rms into 8 ohms before onset of clipping. A push-pull EL84 will give just slightly less output in the real world.

Ahaha. I found it. Music Angel MINI L4 EL84 6p14 Vacuum Tube Hi-end Tube Integrated Amplifier PUS | eBay

I know about the wattage overrating typical, however I do think my Yamaha R-S300 (a far better-sounding amp than any of you might imagine it is) can push considerably more than 20w consistently before clipping. My Lepai, however, is only good for about 5-6 watts clean into 8 ohms and I had no trouble getting it to clip while driving my dual-EL70 towers (and it happened long before I was satisfied with the volume).

As I said, I don't need 1000w for parties. My Yamaha SS is all the wattage I need. I just want to try tubes without making too much of a power sacrifice. 15wpc sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just went to the Grant Fidelity site again to do some comparisons between all my options. When I was there, I read the message from Ian Grant's partner regarding Ian's cancer diagnosis. I had not known this before, and the news floored me.

Ian is opting for alternative (not free) cancer treatment, so they need to sell stuff. For $400, compared to other options, I think the I-25 looks to be a hell of a deal.

I bought one.

My thoughts go out to Ian and all his friends and family.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.