TooB NooB: Options? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
Build it!

There's very little more satisfying early-in-the-game than just building something that has a great reputation, that doesn't cost too much, and that has a list of parts'n'pieces that you can actually find, acquire, stockpile, and eventually use to make the device.
I can imagine the satisfaction!

Quote:
Further, if you "like it", one of the easiest things in the world later on will be to use the small amp as a driver for a much bigger one. The small amp would then be considered the ultimate "headphone amp". The "much bigger one" need not be very complicated at all it turns out.
I don't own a set of headphones and cannot imagine a reason to.

Quote:
So long as your output transformer has a center tap on its secondary (a nice thing to have), or split secondaries (8+8 = 16, 8 = 8, 8|8 = 4 ohms), then it can trivially be hooked up to a 4-some of 6550s or EL34s in a separate enclosure, 1/3 biased in push-pull mode, with a separate high-voltage supply and output transformer. Easy to bump up, actually. Could use 8 tubes as well, 2 in parallel for both halves of the left+right channel amplifiers. With no trouble at all, you'd be pumping out 75 watts per channel of sweet tube goodness.
[eyes glazed over] Uuuuhhhh.....

Quote:
Ah, tubes... noobs 'n' toobs are just a great mix.

WATCH OUT for the high voltages though. When we "old timers" say they can be lethal ... trust ... lethal means DEATH. DEATH without appeal to the reset-button, to try it again. DEAD. So, please ... go in to this with open eyes and GREAT high-voltage fiddling skilz.

Old GoatGuy
Yep. Not doing it. Sorry, but risking my life for something I "might like" is not my cup of tea. Going to buy a Musical Paradise MP-301 or something.
Old 17th January 2013, 07:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstagger View Post
That's why I originally suggested an old Magnavox amplifier. They may look cruddy, but at least they are cheap and easy to fix. For a few $$$ it would be easy to recap one.

Kevin
Indeed, if one knew how to re-cap an amp (safely).

Sorry guys, but I know my limits. My family needs me around more than I need to build (or re-build) a tube amp.
Old 17th January 2013, 07:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Going to buy a Musical Paradise MP-301 or something.
It won't have enough power for your microtowers, plus it's bandwidth compromised. You will need at least 12watts/ch, push pull EL84 would be a great place to start.

jeff
Old 17th January 2013, 07:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
It won't have enough power for your microtowers, plus it's bandwidth compromised. You will need at least 12watts/ch, push pull EL84 would be a great place to start.

jeff
Then I am out of luck.

SS for me.
Old 17th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #15
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

The Tubelab SSE is a solid design. My 6LU8 Spud was heavily inspired by the design, actually. You don't have to spend megabucks to build the SSE. With Edcor CXSE OPTs and a power transformer from Antek, you can probably build a complete amp for $250-$300 - not counting a chassis.

My current 300B amp sits on a piece of plywood. Hence, I call it the DeathTrap. It's a great way to test an amp design - assuming you can keep kids, pets, and other curious fingers away from it. You could build something similar for the SSE. See if you like it before committing to spending time, money on a chassis.

~Tom
Old 17th January 2013, 07:48 PM   #16
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
You can buy a push-pull EL84 on eBay from China for $200, and switch out the coupling capacitors. It is cheaper than the cost of parts. I was planning to rewire the circuit but when i opened the amp, I was surprised that they used a classic push-pull circuit and the correct resistor values. There was simply nothing to mod except the coupling capacitors. It sounded amazing with American NOS tubes, almost as good as my own SET amps (transformers alone costed $600). The Chinese have really improved their circuits lately.

If you want power and don't mind Class D, they sell 1500W PA amps for $135 shipped. They do hiss, and sound somewhat cold and analytical, but sound great with a tube preamp.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SS for me.
You'd be fine with a low power SE amp if you only listen at lower levels in an average size room, and don't require "any" headroom for loud music passages etc. I'm assuming your room size is above average?

jeff
Old 17th January 2013, 08:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
You can buy a push-pull EL84 on eBay from China for $200, and switch out the coupling capacitors. It is cheaper than the cost of parts. I was planning to rewire the circuit but when i opened the amp, I was surprised that they used a classic push-pull circuit and the correct resistor values. There was simply nothing to mod except the coupling capacitors. It sounded amazing with American NOS tubes, almost as good as my own SET amps (transformers alone costed $600). The Chinese have really improved their circuits lately.
A $200 EL84 PP is something I would consider. Any links, e-bay or otherwise, that I should check out?

What about: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Music-Angel-M...item43af992725

Quote:
If you want power and don't mind Class D, they sell 1500W PA amps for $135 shipped. They do hiss, and sound somewhat cold and analytical, but sound great with a tube preamp.
I don't need anything like that. My current 50wpc SS "ampliceiver" is quite enough.

Last edited by cogitech; 17th January 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
You'd be fine with a low power SE amp if you only listen at lower levels in an average size room, and don't require "any" headroom for loud music passages etc. I'm assuming your room size is above average?

jeff
Yes, my room is large and I do use some significant watts sometimes. The idea of having bandwidth-limited OPTs is not attractive to me. Without reasonably deep, rich bass, I'd almost rather not listen.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:15 PM   #20
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
A $200 EL84 PP is something I would consider. Any links, e-bay or otherwise, that I should check out?

I don't need anything like that. My current 50wpc SS "ampliceiver" is quite enough.
Mine is called a MingYue Mini from eBay. It comes with 6N1 driver tubes and 6P14P output tubes. I replaced with Amperex 6DJ8 and GE EL84s, but the stock 6N1s are actually very good.

Receivers are often overrated for power. "50W" is at best 20W rms into 8 ohms before onset of clipping. A push-pull EL84 will give just slightly less output in the real world.

Hide this!Advertise here!