• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help: Interstage Transformer for 7788 (E810F) Tube in Triode ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to use the 7788 in triode to drive a 45.

The plate voltage of the 45 is ~250V.
I plan to use this same voltage source for the 7788.
7788 will draws 15mA.

I want to use interstage transformer.
Does anyone know what would be a good impedance and ratio for the interstage to couple the 7788 triode ?

I'm using 320V B+ on the 45 at 40mA. I get 5% distortion at 5W, and it still sounds relatively clean at this level.

I've used 5842 and D3a to drive the 45, using a variant of George's TSE circuit. The 7788 is a drop-in replacement for the D3a, but I've never tried the 7788 myself as I don't own this tube. Anyway, I have a CCS which drops the voltage down from 320V to 130-200V (adjustable). I run at 180V. High transconductance tubes have a lot of variation so adjustable bias is very useful to install.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Which do you prefer, D3a or 7788?
I use D3a, E280F (triode mode, mostly 10mA CCS load) as amplifier's first tube. I have about prefer of them Siemens E280F. Best holographic space, microdynamics and clarity -IMHO-.

I tried 7788 (I have four Philips SQ, and two Valvo pairs, best of them Valvo -green print Philips Herleen made-), but not of my cup of tea. It seems a bit boring.

What do you think would be good bias voltage and current for the D3a to drive a 45 tube ?

Try the 10mA to 25mA range. It sounds a little different, so you have to decide for yourself what you like. It tests lower distortion at higher bias currents, but the sound can get a little edgy (excellent realism, but more fatiguing after a period).

I have capacitor coupling, with interstage coupling it will sound different. Interstage sounds sweeter, has more harmonics.

I'm using 320V B+ on the 45 at 40mA. I get 5% distortion at 5W, and it still sounds relatively clean at this level.

I've used 5842 and D3a to drive the 45, using a variant of George's TSE circuit. The 7788 is a drop-in replacement for the D3a, but I've never tried the 7788 myself as I don't own this tube. Anyway, I have a CCS which drops the voltage down from 320V to 130-200V (adjustable). I run at 180V. High transconductance tubes have a lot of variation so adjustable bias is very useful to install.

I used both D3a and 7788. They are great for power tube which need below 40-50V gain. IT 5k:5K is so good.

In your case, Pout 5W is quite impressive :) . how much is Pa of tube 45 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.