• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube operating points help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am trying to design an amplifier for electrostatic headphones. Since it would be using high voltages I prefer to ask for help instead of experiment while finding the operation points for the output tube.

The idea is to use the sections of a 6BL7gta in push-pull sort of like this amplifier by Mr. Gilmore All-Triode Direct-Drive Amps for Electrostatic and Electret Headphones | HeadWize

The goal is to have 1400 volts peak to peak stator to stator capacitively coupled to the headphones. Since I yet have to design the phase splitter there is absolutely no constraints on gain, power supply voltage or if I need to use fixed bias.

I have built several amplifiers and designed a single ended tube amp. But this would be my first push pull project for design so I am learning.

Hi,

The goal is to have 1400 volts peak to peak stator to stator capacitively coupled to the headphones.

Seems a bit much for headphones.

There is a very informative thread in the ESL/Exotics about ESL headphones that might help your design.

What you are doing is also on my (big) list of projects to do someday. (only I was going to try HV MOSFET's)

Keep us posted.

Seems a bit much for headphones.

There is a very informative thread in the ESL/Exotics about ESL headphones that might help your design.

What you are doing is also on my (big) list of projects to do someday. (only I was going to try HV MOSFET's)

Keep us posted.

Actually is not that much, here is a list with the voltage ratings of several amplifiers. 1400v p-p is the rating for the Stax T1 and the KGSS

Electrostatic Amplifiers Voltage ratings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.