• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

E88CC preamplifier _ I need diagram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

but...he needs a pre-amp...not a headphone amp...

That doesn't really matter....

We have six triodes to work with and are fortunate to have the E88CC which has a shield between the tube halves.

Assuming we use 1 + 1/2 tubes per channel we can build a fine preamp which will have too much gain for a CDP but with the output stage in PP will have sufficient current capability to drive anything from longish lengths of cable to a moderate Zin headphone set.

What comes to my mind is a Morgan Jones headphone amp that uses, IIRC, an anode follower direct coupled into an SRPP or was it a WCF or CCF?.

Anyway, the gain's provided by the first stage, the next is there for current drive.
The latter is always a good thing to have in a preamp especially when you want to drive low impedance loads, even if it's only occasionally.

Having too much gain isn't necesarilly a bad thing, there is a matter of what's too much though.
In this case I feel it passes just about fine and for the following reasons; the E88CC is a medium µ twin triode with a Raeq of 300 Ohm, it has lowish Ri providing low Zo and the spare gain can help dynamic range.

The latter also keeps the stage from having to work too hard which keeps distortion figures low.

Having only 3 E88CCs to work with, that's about the best I can come up with.

There's more that can be said about it but this is basically what you need to keep in mind.

Cheers,;)

Daniel preamp

Hi,
I can suggest for make phenomenalny line preamp with both sections E88CC per channel. I have had used last 3 years and after comparated for other line think that is good preamp. This preamp ensure gain 23 . It's glory "Daniel schema". Another, I can say that was hit in last 5 years in Serbia. Most of DIY made own version because is very simple and extra have possibility for future upgrade.
First for discuss is tube. On market have more than 5 manufactures. Many say that Telefunken, Siemens and RCA are for discution what is best but don`t forgot for Philips and Ei and all other like Amperex,Svetlana, Tesla... All my Friends ( momentaly 4 ), audiophile maniacs have had use this preamp. Creation is very simple. Tubes work in parallel mode line stage. Idea this hidden in ultrastabilized anode voltage on 265 V.
Second part for discussion is OP amp in anode circuit for ultrastabilation anode voltage. Many used AD825 or AD711(my favorite) or Burr Brown palete OP series.
Third of course output cap and PS, atenuator all el.parts.
Originaly, PS is seperate from preams

Daniel preamp

Hi,
I can suggest for make phenomenalny line preamp with both sections E88CC per channel. I have had used last 3 years and after comparated for other line think that is good preamp. This preamp ensure gain 23 . It's glory "Daniel schema". Another, I can say that was hit in last 5 years in Serbia. Most of DIY made own version because is very simple and extra have possibility for future upgrade.
First for discuss is tube. On market have more than 5 manufactures. Many say that Telefunken, Siemens and RCA are for discution what is best but don`t forgot for Philips and Ei and all other like Amperex,Svetlana, Tesla... All my Friends ( momentaly 4 ), audiophile maniacs have had use this preamp. Creation is very simple. Tubes work in parallel mode line stage. Idea this hidden in ultrastabilized anode voltage on 265 V.
Second part for discussion is OP amp in anode circuit for ultrastabilation anode voltage. Many used AD825 or AD711(my favorite) or Burr Brown palete OP series.
Third of course output cap and PS, atenuator all el.parts.
Originaly, PS is seperate from preams

Yes, I think that was 1993 from Joe Curcio and I forgot but first DIY I met in Belgrade 1994. I have at home photocopy this project . I remembered that he gave unnecessary DC for heating.
It`s very simple and for many years I remember problems with 20 KOhm anode resistors. On end I made with 2 w and after 2-3 years I haven`t problem with him. Originaly I suppose that need 1 W but two times I repaired this resistance.
After huge personally experience and modification that best way for use E88CC.
Diagram can find anywhere on www.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Yes, I think that was 1993 from Joe Curcio and I forgot but first DIY I met in Belgrade 1994. I have at home photocopy this project .

Actually it was first published in TAA in 1985...

It`s very simple and for many years I remember problems with 20 KOhm anode resistors.

Not 100% sure but I think this was addressed in a follow up article.

After huge personally experience and modification that best way for use E88CC.

Maybe but as Brett said, it still has way too much gain...

Cheers, ;)

Attachments

• 6dj8linp.gif
    6dj8linp.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 922
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

any reason why some of the resistors have to metal film (MF)...??

The article doesn't explain why but I assume the usual reasons;
better voltage insulation and lower noise.

The resistors that aren't marked are carbonfilms and as you can see they don't carry any high voltage.

It's just a guess though.

Also keep in mind that the B+ of the stage is well regulated using a master/slave configuration typical of the designs by Mr. Curcio.

Cheers,;)

Bye .
I asked about preamplifier on E88CC, because exactly it eats I took from school. I be do not base at all , in order to to use it.
Because I have little experience with tubes arrangements, and myself I will not design best's preamplifier, I asked about help just here. I infer, that E88CC is not best onto preamplifier. Which different tube you will recommend me, which it was been possible to buy still.

I will pass to myself construction.
I would not want to make preamplifier, erect which is from one tube and two resistors, because it looked to this onto technique from years 70. It can someone will boast some interesting project. I know, that I am exacting, but not I like to make something on low level, though sometimes instructive this is. This preamplifier would have me to be enough on long time enough, because I try myself on slowly to making of loudspeakers' columns - Transmission Line on loudspeakers Foacal 10V6412, Audiom 7NV2 or Audiom 6WM and SEAS NoFerro 650, therefore I can make only one project.

http://ptsoundlab.free.fr/sectubes/preamps/classa6sn7/classa6sn7.htm

What do you think project, what it were been possible to improve in him about this.

Thanks for interest :)

pa_nterka1@o2.pl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.