• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Maida tracking preregulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

is it possible to implement LM317 tracking preregulator as high voltage maida tracking preregulator? Is the schematic correct?

Attachments

• Tracking preregulator.png
    Tracking preregulator.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 496
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Do yourself a favor and use a more modern part than the LM317. While the LM317 was excellent in its day, modern regulators don't require as much current to regulate so you don't have to use the big honking power resistors.

The newer regulators also give you much better ripple rejection. In my setup, I ran a test with 50 Vpp ripple into the regulator. This resulted in 20 uV of ripple (+noise) on the output. 20 uV as in micro-volt. You can see my regulator here: Neurochrome.com : : Audio : 21st Century Maida Regulator

~Tom

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, it is hard to get LT3080 in my country and LM317 is ten times cheaper. Any suggestion for LT3080 alternative?

I would be very curious about your results trying pretracking regulator with your 21st century maida regulator circuit.

I also have problems to get LT3080.

I have tried SSHV1 and it sounds good, but too much heat. I am totally happy with TPR as subjective sound performance is concerned.

What's TPR?

I haven't compared against the SSHVx. However, the ripple rejection of my regulator is so good that I can't see any ripple on the output even with 50 Vpp ripple on the input. Furthermore, the output impedance is very low across the entire audio band. It's better than Jan Didden's T-reg regulator. So I'm confident it's the best I can do with the components available today.

Farnell in Europe should be able to help you out with the LT3080. I can also help you out with an assembled module. Just PM me.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.