230 VAC to 2*140 VAC transformer - 20VA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 08:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 230 VAC to 2*140 VAC transformer - 20VA

Hi diy'ers,

I'm looking for a place to buy a 230 VAC to appr. 2*140 VAC transformer 20VA close to Denmark (within the EU/Sweden etc.) and without too high handling fees etc. A used transformer is also fine (actually I would prefer this if possible).

Alternatively a place to buy parts for a 20 VA E I core transformer.

Tips really are appreciated as I am close to completing this part of my project but still need a transformer

Greetings,

Jesper

Last edited by gentlevoice; 12th January 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
tricomp is offline tricomp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Jesper,

Just so that you know:
RS-Components bought Allied Electronics ( Allied Electronics ? Electronic Parts and Components Distributor )
They are able to deliver all Allied-parts in Denmark given the necessary time taken for them to ship the parts across. Prices are 'negotiable' and can't be trusted to be the same as the published Allied prices.
Still, it should give us access to a lot of interesting parts that weren't previously within reasonable reach.
Hope this info may help solve your problem.

rgds,

/tri-comp
Old 12th January 2013, 09:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi
140v x2 windings is not a common value that I know of. Two possible options are to wind your own needing investment in equipment to do that, or to use 2x variac set to 140v.
Old 12th January 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly View Post
Hi
140v x2 windings is not a common value that I know of. Two possible options are to wind your own needing investment in equipment to do that, or to use 2x variac set to 140v.
Health warning! Variac's on their own are not a solution - they provide no electrical isolation between the input side and the output side and therefore should NEVER be used to derive a lower voltage rail for use within an audio device. (Two variacs would not generate two separate supplies as requested unless isolating transformers were added.)
Old 12th January 2013, 10:35 AM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

In the UK there are transformer kits from Danbury, now sold to the hobby market by livinginthepast. That one is 50VA. They also do 100VA.

These used to be sold by Maplin, and I seem to recall they had a 20VA one too. It may be that is still available by special order from Danbury.
Old 12th January 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Jesper,

I have very good experience with transformers sold by Jan Wuesten (Ask Jan First): Ask Jan First ® ; electron tubes and more
He also sells custom designs with a reasonable price tag.

Another excellent choice are transformers by Gerd Reinhoefer (AudioRöhrenTechnik). He also winds custom designs.
I do not know, if there is an english version of his website, though.

Both should be able to send to Denmark cheaply.

Best,
Martin
Old 12th January 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
tricomp is offline tricomp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You can't hope for a much closer hit than this w/o going for custom-made:

Triad Magnetics - VPT230-110 - Power Products - Transformers - Allied Electronics

Cheap too AND toroid.

Edit: This is closer but a lot more expensive:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70181096

rgds,

/tri-comp

Last edited by tricomp; 12th January 2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added Hammond xfmr
Old 12th January 2013, 03:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you are finding that UK suppliers are asking too much for exporting, just ask one of us to buy it for you and post it to you. I for one would be happy to send one to you.
Old 12th January 2013, 04:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you could add additional winding turns to tricomp's Triad toroid if you wanted to increase the voltage?
Old 12th January 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
oz7aff is offline oz7aff  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Try contacting this compagny Transformere - Transformator fra Overgaard Transformere ApS they took over after VRT stopped it's production.

Hide this!Advertise here!