• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

230 VAC to 2*140 VAC transformer - 20VA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi diy'ers,

I'm looking for a place to buy a 230 VAC to appr. 2*140 VAC transformer 20VA close to Denmark (within the EU/Sweden etc.) and without too high handling fees etc. A used transformer is also fine (actually I would prefer this if possible).

Alternatively a place to buy parts for a 20 VA E I core transformer.

Tips really are appreciated as I am close to completing this part of my project but still need a transformer ;)

Greetings,

Jesper

Last edited:
Jesper,

Just so that you know:
RS-Components bought Allied Electronics ( Allied Electronics ? Electronic Parts and Components Distributor )
They are able to deliver all Allied-parts in Denmark given the necessary time taken for them to ship the parts across. Prices are 'negotiable' and can't be trusted to be the same as the published Allied prices.
Still, it should give us access to a lot of interesting parts that weren't previously within reasonable reach.
Hope this info may help solve your problem.

rgds,

/tri-comp

Hi
140v x2 windings is not a common value that I know of. Two possible options are to wind your own needing investment in equipment to do that, or to use 2x variac set to 140v.
Health warning! Variac's on their own are not a solution - they provide no electrical isolation between the input side and the output side and therefore should NEVER be used to derive a lower voltage rail for use within an audio device. (Two variacs would not generate two separate supplies as requested unless isolating transformers were added.)

Hi Jesper,

I have very good experience with transformers sold by Jan Wuesten (Ask Jan First): Ask Jan First ® ; electron tubes and more
He also sells custom designs with a reasonable price tag.

Another excellent choice are transformers by Gerd Reinhoefer (AudioRöhrenTechnik). He also winds custom designs.
I do not know, if there is an english version of his website, though.

Both should be able to send to Denmark cheaply.

Best,
Martin

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi All,

& thanks for your many replies and suggestions! In the first round I'll try to keep things close to where I live so will contact a transformer manufacturer to hear if they can provide me with what it takes to wind a transformer. It seems I'll probably have to customize the transformer anyway - so I might as well make it myself ... Although no toroids for DIY unless the voltages are low: I did ~ 2000 windings on a 15 VA transformer before christmas and - to me - it was no fun ....

Thanks again ;-)

Jesper

Hi diy'ers,

I'm looking for a place to buy a 230 VAC to appr. 2*140 VAC transformer 20VA close to Denmark (within the EU/Sweden etc.) and without too high handling fees etc. A used transformer is also fine (actually I would prefer this if possible).

Alternatively a place to buy parts for a 20 VA E I core transformer.

Tips really are appreciated as I am close to completing this part of my project but still need a transformer ;)

Greetings,

Jesper

Don't know why you need this, but if you have some 12V AC for filaments with 20VA to spare, then just use a 120+120 to 12V in reverse!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all,

Solution found! Got help from a Danish transformer company including calculations of exact No of windings etc. :)

@palmas: It's for an electrostatic headphone amplifier but I guessed it would be sort of the same voltages so chose to post in the forum ...

Greetings,

Jesper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.