• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Re gettering?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After carefully going through an old pair of Altec 1570B amps I brought them up to full voltage and all was well except for that telltale blue glow inside one of the 811A tubes. I suspect it has gotten gassy as these amps have not seen the light of day for over 25 years. I have read about HAMs dealing with gassy 811's by just lighting the filaments with no B+ and letting them burn for a day or so and thus "regettering" them. Is there anything to this or are they just "blowing smoke"? (pun intended)

Filament alone will not bring down gas unless it is only very minor. You need to pull some plate current. Leaving it run in a tube tester under test is one way. Another way is to light the filament with a small transformer. Connect the grid to the plate making a diode out of it. Then connect AC mains voltage across the tube (filament to plate) with a 40 or 60 watt incandescent lamp in series. I use an isolation transformer and variac for this. As the gas recombines the lamp will dim. But even this may or may not bring down gas depending on how bad it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.