• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Musical Fidelity X-10D Cap Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just replace some of low capacitance (smaller than 3uF) caps of my X-10D.
<before>
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

<after>
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is my first mod of my gears. I replace the old caps by WIMA caps. I have been listening to the old caps for almost a decade. I can tell there are some difference of the sound right after the mod. I cannot say there are more details in the music but the sound has been "clearer". The feeling is immediate.

My playback gears are a Philips 603 vintage CD player, NAD 3020 amplifier and KEF Coda 7 speakers.

Replace the tubes? may be. I still like their sound.

I am considering replacing other caps and the resistors. Has anyone tried that? Does it worth the $$ and time to do it ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.