• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco ST70 KIT - your opinion please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some comments, If I may. The Triode Electronics driver board gets populated with 2X EF86s and a single twin triode. That twin triode may be an ECC99, 12BH7, or 12AU7. I advise installing an ECC99, for its high gm. High gm in designs employing GNFB, like the ST70, provides resistance against slew limiting associated with the HF error correction signal.

As the ST70 uses "fixed" bias and an instant on, SS rectified, C- supply, even the slightest delay in B+ rise is sufficient to protect the O/P tubes against cathode stripping. A NTC inrush current limiting thermistor provides the short delay needed, if either SS diodes or a directly heated vacuum rectifier are/is employed in the B+ circuitry.

IMO, it's perfectly acceptable to SS rectify ST70 B+. You turn the excessively "tall" B+ rail from a liability into an asset, by employing combination bias. "Stand" the cathodes of each O/P tube pair on a 100 Ω/470 μF. network. A very convenient "idle" current test point is available and the original single bias adjustment for each channel is quite satisfactory. Matching requirements are reasonably relaxed. As is always the case, closeness in gm is a must for each pair. However, small differences in cathode current are acceptable.

An additional benefit of SS rectifying the B+ is the cooler running power trafo obtained by holding the value of the 1st filter cap. down to say 10 μF. Replace the overworked C354 choke with a Hammond 159T.

Cathode stripping???

You have got to be kidding.

I finished the kit today and the amp is playing sweet music! Special thanks to SandyG for recommending tubes4hifi. The kit is realy great, the manual is precise and easy to follow. Bob packages all parts in individual bags, which makes the assembly a breeze. And, Bob supported me, when I needed it. I can definitely recommend this kit if you are after a Dynaco ST 70 kit. Being a DIY newbie myself, I can also say that the kit is suitable for beginners. If you can solder and operate a srewdriver you're all set.
Soundwise I like the ST 70 better than the Gainclones that I did before. Thanks again to the community here in helping me make this decision.

Best

Michael

Ps: I have taken lots of photos along the build process and put them in my blog. Should you be interested, check it out. (I payed Wordpress now to remove the ads, so you wont get bothered.... ).
Michael's Project Page

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.