• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wire for tubes using a plate cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my 1625 SE amplifier, I'm running some 425VDC above the chassis. For now there is just some 20awg solid-core wire being used. However, I don't think this is a very safe option, especially with the thin insulation and the chance that repeated bending, etc could cause the wire to break.

Normally for my own use, I wouldn't be so concerned, but I have a friend who is interested in buying this amplifier. I'm also planning on replacing the Chinese ceramic top caps with something NOS.

My other option - on-hand - is to use some shielded cable that has a PVC jacket and foil underneath that. The two conductors inside are only 22awg so I do have some fear of this thin multi-strand wire being eventually bent enough to break. This is the wire I'm using for the grid-cap of the 12J7 and it seems to work just fine.

Thoughts?
1625_1.jpg

How 'bout PTFE?

I don't know what temperature it's rated for but rubber has got to be among the lowest of the insulating materials used for wire. This in combination with it's floppy nature is something I don't want in close proximity to power tubes. I recently purchased some MIL spec PTFE (Teflon) wire from Apex Jr. rated at 1000V. In the interest of stiffness I went with 12 awg, but you could go all the way down to 8 awg if you wanted. I'm not interested in transmitting tubes so I'm rarely over 500V and never over 600V so I'm confident this wire will be sufficient for my needs.

The voltage rating for the TCSS is 10k. The actual model number of the wire is 10kTCSS.

>To: Kimber customer support
> Please provide the voltage rating for the TCSS/19 wire. I would like
> to use it in an audio amplifier with a B+ supply of 1250VDC. I can use it
> with a teflon sleeve if required.
>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.