• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lundahl LL1660 OPT Franks 6SN7 linestage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I want to know if I can use Lundhal LL1660 as opt for Frank's 6SN7 lineastage to match the impedance of 300 ohms of my Sennhs HD600

Attachments

• frank-6sn7-linestages.gif
    frank-6sn7-linestages.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,391
Hi!

The schematic you posted shows a cathode follower. So you need to adapt it for use with such a transformer. Gain would be different compared to the schematic you posted. If you use a similar 2 stage approach with the last stage changed to transformer coupled, you will have about 6dB more gain with a 9:1 step down. The cathode follower is unity gain, a 6SN7 transfomer coupled with 9:1 has again of approx 2 (2 divided by 9 and then with some losses) which equates to about 6dB difference

Thomas

Thomas

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for the link to your blog, can I use the attached schematic modified from your octal preamp? Could I use without the choke 60H/40mA? Could you write or let me know the voltages to be sure the schematic is working properly?

Attachments

• Thomas Mayer OctalPre.jpg
    Thomas Mayer OctalPre.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 747
Hi!

I thought you wanted to modify the schematic of your opening post and adapt it for transformer out? That would mean keep the first stage and replace the cathode ollower with the transformer stage.

You need to check if gain is ok for you. Using both stages you will have more gain than with the cathode follower. Using just the transfomer stage it will be significantly less.

The dropping resistor is not needed it is only used in my preamp since I need higer voltage for thephono section. The 250V in the original schematic would work

You can implement any suitable power supply. If you need the choke depends on your power supply implementation.

Also keep in mind the 1660 will not be a good choice to drive a 300 Ohm headphone.

At a certain point you need to just build something then check what comes out and adapt.

Best regards

Thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.