• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Marantz Model 5 Amps and Model Seven Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone

I've been a member for just over two years and am getting ready to try my hand at my first tube amp. I'd been learning about these from my dad but as his health declined he was able to teach/explain less and less. He passed away about 5 years ago and it's been a case of arrested development for me as I had to go it alone. This site has been a tremendous help in filling in the blanks!

But I digress, my Dad had a pair of Model 5's and a Model 7 that haven't had a signal or ac applied to them in at least twenty years. I've had a look inside and they all need to be recapped. I'm capable of doing this myself, but it's my understanding that among Marantz aficionados they're "right" and "wrong" ways to go about doing so. I don't want to do anything that diminish their value.

Any advice you can give me to resurrect these would be greatly appreciated even if your suggestion is to send them off to have the work done professionally.

Thanks.

Everett

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.