807pp + input phase splitter - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Why does the lower tube not have 100K from grid to ground ?
Old 10th January 2013, 10:37 AM   #22
jane is offline jane  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6J7 View Post
Upper EF80 works, and as I can see on the scope, there is a big improvement.. but I can't listen how it sounds because lower EF80 still doesn't split anything !
There is no input signal to the lower tube so there will be no output signal either..
Old 10th January 2013, 01:15 PM   #23
6J7 is offline 6J7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why does the lower tube not have 100K from grid to ground ?
Lower grid is directly connected to ground, why adding a 100K in //

Quote:
There is no input signal to the lower tube so there will be no output signal either..
It seems that I'm too stupid to understand how a two tubes splitter works, I listened to the left channel like this and the right channel not yet modified (with input transformer). No bass on left channel and strange sound, like out of phase.
Old 10th January 2013, 02:23 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Upper EF80 works, and as I can see on the scope, there is a big improvement.. but I can't listen how it sounds because lower EF80 still doesn't split anything ! tube seems to be good, led on, plate voltage ok. But no signal at all, tried to change the probe, same result.

Here is what I did.
You have built a Long Tail Pair phase splitter and then removed the Long Tail by using LED's. The input signal for the bottom pentode should come through the cathode not the grid1. In many LTP's you can simply ground the second Pentode grid (but you lose half the gain). There is no way for the input signal to communicate to the second Lower Pentode. I would advocate using at least a stiff resistor to emulate a long tail (though a CCS is much better). Look at how I achieved a LTP phase splitter with input transformer in my Tabor to understand how you could achieve the same without having to introduce a negative rail or an input capacitor.

Shoog
Old 10th January 2013, 02:24 PM   #25
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Upper EF80 works, and as I can see on the scope, there is a big improvement.. but I can't listen how it sounds because lower EF80 still doesn't split anything ! tube seems to be good, led on, plate voltage ok. But no signal at all, tried to change the probe, same result.

Here is what I did.
Take away the LEDs from the cathode of the EF80! Connect together the cathodes, and apply resistor to the ground. It will be slightly better.
But the best solution would be ccs in the cathode, like the attached picture.

Sajti
Attached Images
File Type: png 6550_pp.png (138.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 10th January 2013, 02:30 PM   #26
mwiebe is offline mwiebe  United States
diyAudio Member

I’m not sure what’s wrong, the topology works. The LEDs do ground AC which would have an impact on how it sounds, but it should still work.

Have a look at some other similar designs.

JC Morrison’s 6CK4 P-P
http://web.archive.org/web/201012051...er/6ck4-pp.gif

Eric Kingsbury’s Music Machine
6V6 Amp Audio Circuit; Parts Expo

Kevin Kennedy’s 6CK4 P-P
http://www.kta-hifi.net/projects/amp.../6ck4amp_c.pdf

El Cheapo a slight variation with feedback,
up-to-date El Cheapo schematic

One version of Gary Pimm’s Tabor,
http://www.pimmlabs.com/web/Tabor3s.gif

Hopefully you will see something that will make a difference.
Matt
Old 10th January 2013, 02:35 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Your input transformers make life massively more straightforward.

Shoog
Old 10th January 2013, 02:49 PM   #28
mwiebe is offline mwiebe  United States
diyAudio Member

Shoog,
I used to build with input phase splitting transformers or autoformers, or interstage versions of the same. I kept hearing so many good reports of Kingsbury’s Music Machine that I finally had to try it. So I pulled out the input transformer and now my favorite P-P amp uses that input topology and I couldn’t be happier. But input splitting does work better, vastly better, with very high inductance on the input tube cathodes.
Matt
Old 10th January 2013, 02:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiebe View Post
Shoog,
I used to build with input phase splitting transformers or autoformers, or interstage versions of the same. I kept hearing so many good reports of Kingsbury’s Music Machine that I finally had to try it. So I pulled out the input transformer and now my favorite P-P amp uses that input topology and I couldn’t be happier. But input splitting does work better, vastly better, with very high inductance on the input tube cathodes.
Matt
I always use the Pink Mouse LED referenced CCS circuit for mine now.
The great thing with using CCS to bias up both your input stage and your output stage is that when you get the load resistor values right, everything is always self adjusting regardless of what tubes you plug into it. My last two amps have been DC coupled and universally stable. Its magic of the best kind.

Shoog
Old 10th January 2013, 06:03 PM   #30
6J7 is offline 6J7
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for your comments.

I tried again with input transformer but only 4K across secondaries and led's were replaced by unbypassed resistors. Sound has changed, now it is "slow" - not dynamic at all - with boomy bass, more "tubey" but always this unpleasant forward treble. I'll try with bypassed Rk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2013-01-10 at 19.35.43.jpg (42.9 KB, 113 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!