Thought Exercise: Submini Circlotron OTL Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 05:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thought Exercise: Submini Circlotron OTL Amp

Hi Everyone!

I was doing some research into tube amps, when I noticed a trend among the fancy Ciclotron amps. Their enjoyment was severely hampered by their heat output (http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/proj...1_mamont_e.htm)! So I started thinking, but couldn't come up with an answer, as I am still trying to grasp the basics of the Circlotron itself.

Is an OTL Circlotron built using sub-miniature tubes a worthy experiment? I assume it is much more involved than swapping out the monstrous 6AS7s with submini dual triodes and adjusting resistor values, but where to start?
Old 8th January 2013, 08:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What are you trying to achieve? The heat dissipation in an OTL is determined by the output power and output power is determined by the available output current. Any OTL with subminiature tubes would necessarily give very low output power or you would need a very large number of them in parallel which is impracticle.

An example: If you want to get 25W in 8 ohm you have to deliver 2.5A peak and the average current from the power supply would be 0.8A, this is not possible to achieve with subminiature tubes.

Hide this!Advertise here!