• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube recomedations for my first tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got my first tube amp its a Yaqin MS-88B. It uses 4 KT88's and 4 6SN7 tubes. I've got about 100 hrs on at this time and even though its better than the Krell solid state it replaced I'm sure replacing the cheep Chinese tube would make a big difference. I read some good reviews on the Gold Lion KT88 but the 6SN7's seem to be a bit harder to narrow down. I know there a alot of variations any advice would be appreciated. I use the amp to drive Magnaplanar MG 1.7 so I did give up some volume for sound quality but it was worth it . I have a budget of $500 - $ 600 range.

I run Gold Lion KT88s and I am running a set of new-old stock Phillips ECG JAN 6SN7WGTA tubes in my amp I built.

It seems the better 6SN7 tubes are the old ones - at least that seems to be the consensus among some audiophiles.

At some point you get diminished returns on your tube investment if you stick with the Chinese amp. Other components such as the transformers, caps, and circuit topography offer more performance bang for the buck.

What that says is that you will probably want to build your own amp with better transformers and a solid schematic design to get the most out of those expensive tubes.

I build an Aikido with 6SN7's.
First I had new production Tung-Sol's wich I liked alot, very clean and detailed. After that I changed them to 60's RCA's. The RCA's are a little less detailed and more 'tubey', laid-back, warm, however you want to call it. I like that kind of sound, so they are still in there ;)

I build an Aikido with 6SN7's.
First I had new production Tung-Sol's wich I liked alot, very clean and detailed. After that I changed them to 60's RCA's. The RCA's are a little less detailed and more 'tubey', laid-back, warm, however you want to call it. I like that kind of sound, so they are still in there ;)

I was going to use the Tung-Sols as well, but I heard there is some QC variation that made me a little skittish about purchasing them.

I honestly do not know the validity or the magnitude of that issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.