Tube recomedations for my first tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 03:26 PM   #1
ice963 is offline ice963  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube recomedations for my first tube amp

Just got my first tube amp its a Yaqin MS-88B. It uses 4 KT88's and 4 6SN7 tubes. I've got about 100 hrs on at this time and even though its better than the Krell solid state it replaced I'm sure replacing the cheep Chinese tube would make a big difference. I read some good reviews on the Gold Lion KT88 but the 6SN7's seem to be a bit harder to narrow down. I know there a alot of variations any advice would be appreciated. I use the amp to drive Magnaplanar MG 1.7 so I did give up some volume for sound quality but it was worth it . I have a budget of $500 - $ 600 range.
Old 7th January 2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

I run Gold Lion KT88s and I am running a set of new-old stock Phillips ECG JAN 6SN7WGTA tubes in my amp I built.

It seems the better 6SN7 tubes are the old ones - at least that seems to be the consensus among some audiophiles.

At some point you get diminished returns on your tube investment if you stick with the Chinese amp. Other components such as the transformers, caps, and circuit topography offer more performance bang for the buck.

What that says is that you will probably want to build your own amp with better transformers and a solid schematic design to get the most out of those expensive tubes.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I build an Aikido with 6SN7's.
First I had new production Tung-Sol's wich I liked alot, very clean and detailed. After that I changed them to 60's RCA's. The RCA's are a little less detailed and more 'tubey', laid-back, warm, however you want to call it. I like that kind of sound, so they are still in there
Old 7th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJazz View Post
I build an Aikido with 6SN7's.
First I had new production Tung-Sol's wich I liked alot, very clean and detailed. After that I changed them to 60's RCA's. The RCA's are a little less detailed and more 'tubey', laid-back, warm, however you want to call it. I like that kind of sound, so they are still in there
I was going to use the Tung-Sols as well, but I heard there is some QC variation that made me a little skittish about purchasing them.

I honestly do not know the validity or the magnitude of that issue.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was going to use the Tung-Sols as well, but I heard there is some QC variation that made me a little skittish about purchasing them.
Buy from a reputable dealer, like Jim McShane, who burns tubes in and tests them thoroughly. The good guys don't ship shaky specimens.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

All I can say about them is that the ones I bought were and still are fine, construction also looks good.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Duttman View Post
Buy from a reputable dealer, like Jim McShane, who burns tubes in and tests them thoroughly. The good guys don't ship shaky specimens.
Thanks! I will be sure to source all the rest of my tubes through Jim.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Second Eli's comments.

I don't know about reliability, but a couple of EH 6SN7s that one of the members here sent me measured and performed extremely well, and cost a small fraction of what good NOS tubes do. Very favorable comparison to CV1988 and 5692.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:53 AM   #9
ice963 is offline ice963  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info and recomendation. I'll be placing an order with Mr McShane next week. His site says he's gone for the week.

Hide this!Advertise here!