Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 08:44 PM   #21
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Ale,

What do you think of the mu-follower gyrator as the load for a single 6e5p to drive an 833 at 1500V and 250mA, in heavy A2? I'm working up an 833 amp and was instead thinking of using a CCS on top of the 6e5p followed by an AOT1N60 MOSFET with separate +/- supplies in order to ensure enough drive. Do you think the simple depletion mode mosfet gyrator could do the job? I'm a little doubtful...
Old 6th January 2013, 11:34 PM   #22
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I will only be driving my JBL 2441 compression drivers with the GM70 so I don't think I will use more that 1wpc because the JBLs are 113db efficient.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:24 AM   #23
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm in London and there is an Audio Circle meeting every month if you ever manage to make it in town. Would be great if you can join us.
The 6e5p is a great valve indeed. I'm on a 100% DHT route otherwise I'd have chosen it as a driver for my amp.
Ale
Old 7th January 2013, 07:28 AM   #24
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
Ale,

What do you think of the mu-follower gyrator as the load for a single 6e5p to drive an 833 at 1500V and 250mA, in heavy A2? I'm working up an 833 amp and was instead thinking of using a CCS on top of the 6e5p followed by an AOT1N60 MOSFET with separate +/- supplies in order to ensure enough drive. Do you think the simple depletion mode mosfet gyrator could do the job? I'm a little doubtful...
The CCS is not an ideal load for an A2 driver. Your load impedance is reduced to low ohms when A2, so you want very load output impedance and high current capability. An IXYS 01N100D is rated 1kV and 100mA. What is the drive required? What is the estimated A2 grid current?
Check the 4-65a SE amp thread where Michael Koster explains extensively the gyrator driver in this topology
Ale
Old 7th January 2013, 08:33 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I'll check that out too. I know nothing about gyrators but would like to use one on the output of my phono stage (6e5p again!)
Audio group sounds good, perhaps you could let me know details? Thanks.

I was hoping to try 4p1l two stage amp with 4p1l preamp, it wont leave much gain headroom for quiet recordings but might be worth a go
Enzo
Old 7th January 2013, 10:01 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogliaa View Post
The CCS is not an ideal load for an A2 driver. Your load impedance is reduced to low ohms when A2, so you want very load output impedance and high current capability. An IXYS 01N100D is rated 1kV and 100mA. What is the drive required? What is the estimated A2 grid current?
Check the 4-65a SE amp thread where Michael Koster explains extensively the gyrator driver in this topology
Ale
The voltage drive needed will be much less than the 4-65a since the 833 has a mu of 35, but the IXYS 01N100D may be current limited in this application, where I could be in grid current most of the time, hundreds of milliamps of it depending on where I set the operating point. That's why I'm thinking of implementing the CCS on top of the 6e5p, followed by an AOT1N60 mosfet stage (1N60: 700V, 1.3A, only 7.5ohm typical on resistance, low capacitance Crss = 1.8pF). The IXYS 01N100D has an on resistance up to 10X higher than the AOT1N60 and about the same reverse transfer capacitance.

Maybe I could use the AOT1N60 in a gyrator on the 6e5p and save the extra stage...I'll need to investigate further.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:43 AM   #27
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The voltage drive needed will be much less than the 4-65a since the 833 has a mu of 35, but the IXYS 01N100D may be current limited in this application, where I could be in grid current most of the time, hundreds of milliamps of it depending on where I set the operating point. That's why I'm thinking of implementing the CCS on top of the 6e5p, followed by an AOT1N60 mosfet stage (1N60: 700V, 1.3A, only 7.5ohm typical on resistance, low capacitance Crss = 1.8pF). The IXYS 01N100D has an on resistance up to 10X higher than the AOT1N60 and about the same reverse transfer capacitance.

Maybe I could use the AOT1N60 in a gyrator on the 6e5p and save the extra stage...I'll need to investigate further.
The 833 is a devil to drive, unless you go for more than 3000V.
I was never satisfyed with the driver supplying enough current that the "diode for grid" demands.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:50 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmas View Post
The 833 is a devil to drive, unless you go for more than 3000V.
I was never satisfyed with the driver supplying enough current that the "diode for grid" demands.
It seems you have experience with the 833? What types of drivers did you try?

Your description of the drive requirements above is what I was afraid of, and why I'm planning on a separate MOSFET source follower stage with super low impedance and lots of current on demand. Please share your experiences!
Old 7th January 2013, 12:58 PM   #29
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It seems you have experience with the 833? What types of drivers did you try?

Your description of the drive requirements above is what I was afraid of, and why I'm planning on a separate MOSFET source follower stage with super low impedance and lots of current on demand. Please share your experiences!
Not that much experience with 833A. A few years ago a friend of mine had a collection of NOS 833A and we were building a PP with them. We used 1700V for plate, output trannie was custom built, ...
We tryed all configurations we could think about, using tubes and interstage transformers. Even with impedances as low as 22Ohm, the diode grid effect was visible.
We didnt try mosfet or any SS devices. Hope you can get a better driver than we did.
Old 7th January 2013, 01:01 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Palmas!

I'll give it a try, anyway!

Hide this!Advertise here!