Fixing Sneaky Oscillation in P-P Amplifiers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fixing Sneaky Oscillation in P-P Amplifiers

I have a P-P amp I've been tinkering with that has a snarky burst of oscillation that occurs on only one half-cycle. I recall SY saying in one thread that this could be due to mismatch between transformer primary halves. The problem and its solution are deeply buried in a thread here somewhere, and the problem is frustrating enough that the problem and solution deserve a thread of their own for future frustrated amp builders.
SY, can you restate your suggestion to fix this problem? I think that a series RC across each primary half, or one between plates might be the solution.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If the primary resistance is off you could add a series resistor to try balancing it.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I remember something about this. At least one suggestion was to add grid stopper resistors to the output tubes if not already there. Values around 1K to 1.5K are common. If pentode operated, I'd also consider smaller ones on the screens and perhaps even a small inductor at the plate terminal in series with the OPT.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
What's the frequency of oscillations?
Old 5th January 2013, 12:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A few MHz...
Old 5th January 2013, 03:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

One of the things I might try before anything else is to increase the output tube grid stopper values to a value similar to that of the Red Light District, with the intent of limiting grid current during positive grid excursions. This may sufficiently squelch the output tubes such that no further action is necessary. The grid stoppers are probably a k or two right now, maybe less. I'd have to look at the half-built carcass to tell, and it's down in the basement, where it'll stay until I get to it...
Old 5th January 2013, 04:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

What does the burst look like?
Old 5th January 2013, 05:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
If few MHz it is not transformer ringing. Either grid stoppers would help, or a cap directly from anode to the feedback input, to bypass feedback through transformer. Can be also result of some parasitic feedback, so shielding may help.
If you remove GNFB, does it stop or gets worse?
Old 5th January 2013, 12:45 PM   #9
20to20 is offline 20to20  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the lowest and highest test frequencies that it occurs on? Where is the first point in the circuit you can detect it? Any unusual circuit design elements, components? Apart from being a P-P amp, we don't have much to go on.

EDIT: Does it exist at all output power levels? Does it start at the crossover point, the positive or negative half-cycle, top ot bottom of the wave?

Last edited by 20to20; 5th January 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 5th January 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can you please post a schematic and photo of layout?

Hide this!Advertise here!