Thoughts on layout and potential for improvements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 02:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thoughts on layout and potential for improvements

So a year and a half later, after one failed attempt to have the preamp checked over I finally had someone from Audiokarma give it the once over. He fixed up some soldering issues and replaced a few dying capacitors.

He also sketched a circuit diagram for me which I wanted to post here for feedback and thoughts about possible improvements.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P46_schematic (1).pdf (107.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 6th January 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well I guess that 110 views and no suggestions means it is pretty much as good as it gets.

That's cool, I'm just doing the usual "Isn't there something that would make it just a little bit better?" audiophile thing lol

I would even appreciate "Why the hell did they design it like that?" comments if those of you who have viewed were thinking that.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone.
Old 6th January 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
jane is offline jane  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Well I guess that 110 views and no suggestions means it is pretty much as good as it gets.
The diagram don't make much sense to me..
Example: The cathode of V1-1 is floating at 108V via a 0.1u cap to a floating grid of V1-2 at 0V
Old 6th January 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I looked at this a few days ago and couldn't figure out what it was. I just looked at it again and I'm still shaking my head. Maybe it is the drawing, maybe it's just me...

My guess is that your system would sound better without this thing in it.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'll forward this to the guy who wrote out the schematic for me and maybe he can throw some light on it.

Thank you.
Old 7th January 2013, 01:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Your chosen schematic is just written out poorly......we can see "he" started running out of room on the paper & started jamming on the remaining paper. Myself had I have run out of room....I would have started over.
It is not written up in the "classic" style of schematics....thus it is very hard to read.......a rewrite will clear things up immensely.

__________________________________________________ Rick..........
Old 7th January 2013, 02:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Also isn't the 6N2 a double triode? So where does the pentode part come from? Is this a headphone amp? OPT-less?

Jaz
Old 7th January 2013, 05:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Really!?

You posted the same question at AK, and the other schematic found there P46 makes a lot more sense, whoever re-drew it for you must be seeing things or modify it beyond recognition... Also it has 6F2 not 6N2.

Jaz
Old 7th January 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
You posted the same question at AK, and the other schematic found there P46 makes a lot more sense, whoever re-drew it for you must be seeing things or modify it beyond recognition... Also it has 6F2 not 6N2.

Jaz
That schematic was one provided by the company but that didn't seem to match what was inside the case at all.

You are correct that it has 6F2 and it also has 6N6.

I'm afraid I don't really get schematics (I have tried but my attempts were just not correct) so it may be that I can't give you guys enough to make your efforts worthwhile; sorry about that.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
Your chosen schematic is just written out poorly......we can see "he" started running out of room on the paper & started jamming on the remaining paper. Myself had I have run out of room....I would have started over.
It is not written up in the "classic" style of schematics....thus it is very hard to read.......a rewrite will clear things up immensely.

__________________________________________________ Rick..........
The schematic was a favor and honestly much better than I could ever have managed. The Ak'er spent a lot of time working on the unit to get it to work and did the schematic at the last minute so I cannot fault him for that.

Maybe it's just time for me to sit back and enjoy it and stop trying to understand and improve it

Hide this!Advertise here!