diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Thoughts on layout and potential for improvements (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/227035-thoughts-layout-potential-improvements.html)

moggi1964 4th January 2013 02:58 PM

Thoughts on layout and potential for improvements

1 Attachment(s)
So a year and a half later, after one failed attempt to have the preamp checked over I finally had someone from Audiokarma give it the once over. He fixed up some soldering issues and replaced a few dying capacitors.

He also sketched a circuit diagram for me which I wanted to post here for feedback and thoughts about possible improvements.

Thanks.

moggi1964 6th January 2013 03:01 PM

Well I guess that 110 views and no suggestions means it is pretty much as good as it gets. :)

That's cool, I'm just doing the usual "Isn't there something that would make it just a little bit better?" audiophile thing lol

I would even appreciate "Why the hell did they design it like that?" comments if those of you who have viewed were thinking that.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone.

jane 6th January 2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moggi1964 (Post 3313450)
Well I guess that 110 views and no suggestions means it is pretty much as good as it gets. :)

The diagram don't make much sense to me..
Example: The cathode of V1-1 is floating at 108V via a 0.1u cap to a floating grid of V1-2 at 0V :confused:

Palustris 6th January 2013 03:40 PM

I looked at this a few days ago and couldn't figure out what it was. I just looked at it again and I'm still shaking my head. Maybe it is the drawing, maybe it's just me...

My guess is that your system would sound better without this thing in it.

moggi1964 7th January 2013 12:44 AM

I'll forward this to the guy who wrote out the schematic for me and maybe he can throw some light on it.

Thank you.

Richard Ellis 7th January 2013 01:24 AM

Your chosen schematic is just written out poorly......we can see "he" started running out of room on the paper & started jamming on the remaining paper. Myself had I have run out of room....I would have started over.
It is not written up in the "classic" style of schematics....thus it is very hard to read.......a rewrite will clear things up immensely.

__________________________________________________ Rick..........

jazbo8 7th January 2013 02:42 AM

Also isn't the 6N2 a double triode? So where does the pentode part come from? Is this a headphone amp? OPT-less?

Jaz

jazbo8 7th January 2013 05:48 AM

Really!?

You posted the same question at AK, and the other schematic found there P46 makes a lot more sense, whoever re-drew it for you must be seeing things or modify it beyond recognition... Also it has 6F2 not 6N2.

Jaz

moggi1964 7th January 2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazbo8 (Post 3314308)
You posted the same question at AK, and the other schematic found there P46 makes a lot more sense, whoever re-drew it for you must be seeing things or modify it beyond recognition... Also it has 6F2 not 6N2.

Jaz

That schematic was one provided by the company but that didn't seem to match what was inside the case at all.

You are correct that it has 6F2 and it also has 6N6.

I'm afraid I don't really get schematics (I have tried but my attempts were just not correct) so it may be that I can't give you guys enough to make your efforts worthwhile; sorry about that.

moggi1964 7th January 2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Ellis (Post 3314144)
Your chosen schematic is just written out poorly......we can see "he" started running out of room on the paper & started jamming on the remaining paper. Myself had I have run out of room....I would have started over.
It is not written up in the "classic" style of schematics....thus it is very hard to read.......a rewrite will clear things up immensely.

__________________________________________________ Rick..........

The schematic was a favor and honestly much better than I could ever have managed. The Ak'er spent a lot of time working on the unit to get it to work and did the schematic at the last minute so I cannot fault him for that.

Maybe it's just time for me to sit back and enjoy it and stop trying to understand and improve it :)