Thoughts on layout and potential for improvements - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
That schematic was one provided by the company but that didn't seem to match what was inside the case at all.

You are correct that it has 6F2 and it also has 6N6.

I'm afraid I don't really get schematics (I have tried but my attempts were just not correct) so it may be that I can't give you guys enough to make your efforts worthwhile; sorry about that.
No worries, so the guy worked on the amp drew the pencil version based on what he saw in the preamp and that's what he came up with?! As drawn, the circuit does not work... but the one from the company does. Curious that's all...
Old 7th January 2013, 10:38 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Interesting!

So IF we assume the one from the company is correct can you explain it to me in terms of what the design is and what it looks like it is expected to be? I saw mention of a headphone amp somewhere I think.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:06 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Interesting!

So IF we assume the one from the company is correct can you explain it to me in terms of what the design is and what it looks like it is expected to be? I saw mention of a headphone amp somewhere I think.

Thanks in advance.
I was the one that brought up the headphone amp before I saw the company's schematic, so please disregard it

Looking at the company's schematic, the P46 is a fully balanced design, from the input transformer to the push-pull 6C19 output stage. It employs GNFB (global negative feedback) to reduce distortion and improve linearity. Of course, this is just a generic description of the circuit, which probably does not mean much, anyway, how does it sound, and why do you want to "improve" it?
Old 8th January 2013, 03:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Always looking to improve, right? I mean, what's the point of living

It sounds fine, adds bass which was missing and seems to add almost no distortion to the system. It makes the CD worth listening to now.

I know, sit back, relax and be happy. I'm trying

Oh, apparently the balanced output isn't actually hooked up to anything, just the RCA's.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:36 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Always looking to improve, right? I mean, what's the point of living

It sounds fine, adds bass which was missing and seems to add almost no distortion to the system. It makes the CD worth listening to now.

I know, sit back, relax and be happy. I'm trying

Oh, apparently the balanced output isn't actually hooked up to anything, just the RCA's.
You are right, we can't never leave well enough alone

I can't offer much help, since I had no hands-on experience with these tubes, the 6C19 in particular seems to be rather uncommon, and to use it in a preamp makes it even rarer.

Perhaps one of the experts will offer some advise, but it seems to me that this preamp was designed to drive very large power tube amps, that require a lot of power. And the fact, that the topology went from fully balanced to single end at the output is also a bit puzzling (at least to me), wonder what was the intention of the designer.

Jaz
Old 8th January 2013, 01:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I think the designer may have been on drugs but I have no concrete evidence of that

It does have a lot of tubes for a preamp that's for sure. I must pay attention to my next electric bill!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!