• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Thoughts on layout and potential for improvements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So a year and a half later, after one failed attempt to have the preamp checked over I finally had someone from Audiokarma give it the once over. He fixed up some soldering issues and replaced a few dying capacitors.

He also sketched a circuit diagram for me which I wanted to post here for feedback and thoughts about possible improvements.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P46_schematic (1).pdf
    107.1 KB · Views: 188
Well I guess that 110 views and no suggestions means it is pretty much as good as it gets. :)

That's cool, I'm just doing the usual "Isn't there something that would make it just a little bit better?" audiophile thing lol

I would even appreciate "Why the hell did they design it like that?" comments if those of you who have viewed were thinking that.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone.

Your chosen schematic is just written out poorly......we can see "he" started running out of room on the paper & started jamming on the remaining paper. Myself had I have run out of room....I would have started over.
It is not written up in the "classic" style of schematics....thus it is very hard to read.......a rewrite will clear things up immensely.

__________________________________________________Rick..........

You posted the same question at AK, and the other schematic found there P46 makes a lot more sense, whoever re-drew it for you must be seeing things or modify it beyond recognition... Also it has 6F2 not 6N2.

Jaz

That schematic was one provided by the company but that didn't seem to match what was inside the case at all.

You are correct that it has 6F2 and it also has 6N6.

I'm afraid I don't really get schematics (I have tried but my attempts were just not correct) so it may be that I can't give you guys enough to make your efforts worthwhile; sorry about that.

Your chosen schematic is just written out poorly......we can see "he" started running out of room on the paper & started jamming on the remaining paper. Myself had I have run out of room....I would have started over.
It is not written up in the "classic" style of schematics....thus it is very hard to read.......a rewrite will clear things up immensely.

__________________________________________________Rick..........

The schematic was a favor and honestly much better than I could ever have managed. The Ak'er spent a lot of time working on the unit to get it to work and did the schematic at the last minute so I cannot fault him for that.

Maybe it's just time for me to sit back and enjoy it and stop trying to understand and improve it :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
That schematic was one provided by the company but that didn't seem to match what was inside the case at all.

You are correct that it has 6F2 and it also has 6N6.

I'm afraid I don't really get schematics (I have tried but my attempts were just not correct) so it may be that I can't give you guys enough to make your efforts worthwhile; sorry about that.

No worries, so the guy worked on the amp drew the pencil version based on what he saw in the preamp and that's what he came up with?! As drawn, the circuit does not work... but the one from the company does. Curious that's all...;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Interesting!

So IF we assume the one from the company is correct can you explain it to me in terms of what the design is and what it looks like it is expected to be? I saw mention of a headphone amp somewhere I think.

Thanks in advance.

I was the one that brought up the headphone amp before I saw the company's schematic, so please disregard it :eek:

Looking at the company's schematic, the P46 is a fully balanced design, from the input transformer to the push-pull 6C19 output stage. It employs GNFB (global negative feedback) to reduce distortion and improve linearity. Of course, this is just a generic description of the circuit, which probably does not mean much, anyway, how does it sound, and why do you want to "improve" it?

Always looking to improve, right? I mean, what's the point of living ;)

It sounds fine, adds bass which was missing and seems to add almost no distortion to the system. It makes the CD worth listening to now.

I know, sit back, relax and be happy. I'm trying :)

Oh, apparently the balanced output isn't actually hooked up to anything, just the RCA's.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Always looking to improve, right? I mean, what's the point of living ;)

It sounds fine, adds bass which was missing and seems to add almost no distortion to the system. It makes the CD worth listening to now.

I know, sit back, relax and be happy. I'm trying :)

Oh, apparently the balanced output isn't actually hooked up to anything, just the RCA's.

You are right, we can't never leave well enough alone ;)

I can't offer much help, since I had no hands-on experience with these tubes, the 6C19 in particular seems to be rather uncommon, and to use it in a preamp makes it even rarer.

Perhaps one of the experts will offer some advise, but it seems to me that this preamp was designed to drive very large power tube amps, that require a lot of power. And the fact, that the topology went from fully balanced to single end at the output is also a bit puzzling (at least to me), wonder what was the intention of the designer.

Jaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.