What is the difference between "rectifier tubes" and "power tubes" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 01:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default .

Thanks so much for this book, but it is very big and very very detailed ... At the moment I just want to tell me SIMPLY PUT .... If you join and then you will read the book. THANKS very...have a happy year
Old 4th January 2013, 01:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hey guys thanks to share the information.

Happy New Year for everyboy.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

hallo plig88

Try googling (not actually a word) 'books valve amplifiers' and reading the Morgan Jones book - better still buy it! Or you could start by looking through the stickies here.
if you're just getting into the valve amp game then those two sources will put you on the right track.

Vinylsavor fascinating point! kind of like using a transistor as a diode I suppose. Funny how the conceptual things that are right in front of your face never get you immediately! hmm...

Andy
Old 5th January 2013, 08:27 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default hello again

I want to ask something else. for example, if I want to build a pedal that works with vacuum bulb, which bulb will have upon; rectifier, amp tube and power tube?.......
from what I understand, it will be necessary the power tube..right?
and something else, what is "phase inverter"( amp tube),,,for example ,
lamps is 3 in a row (v1, v2, v3). the v1 and v3 are the gain stage the v2 is the phase inverter...
what makes? thank you
Old 5th January 2013, 08:39 PM   #15
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylsavor View Post
Hi!

In fact power tubes can and have been used as rectifiers. In that case the grid gets tied to the plate. Wether this is sensible is another question

Western Electric did this in some of their amps. 211s used as output triodes and also as rectifiers. I think the idea behind this was to reuse the 211s from the amplifier sockets for some more time as rectifiers. They also did this in a 205D amp. However there is no published data about the diode characteristics of triodes you need to characterize them yourself for rectifier use.

However I would not recommed this for a beginner

Thomas
Actually this was done across the board on WE electronics (and a lot of other stuff), but ended with the commercial availability of suitable rectifier tubes in the very late 1920s / early 1930s.
Old 6th January 2013, 02:45 AM   #16
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla88 View Post
EZ 81 is a indirect full wave rectifier. What you need to use this tube is a power transformer with a separate heater supply wiring for the EZ81 , don't use common wirng for rectifier and other tubes heaters .
Actually, the EZ81 can share a heating circuit with the other tubes as it has a 500V heater-cathode rating. I don't know if it adds any hum to the amp, but I've seen it done on old single ended EL84 consoles.
Old 6th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajnaS View Post
you cannot use an amplifier tube as a rectifier because the continuous current limit will be low and the voltage drop will be high.

Oh, yeah? Tell this to the guy who designed the Marantz T1

Hide this!Advertise here!