• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N2, 6N6, 6N11 - Please help a beginner! (long)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased the 2006 MR'LIUNG KT88 model on ebay from them.Had an Intermediate problem on one channel.Listened very shortly before sending it off for repair.

They paid for all the fees.

There was some solder splash from one of the resistors grounding the circuit on one channel.Also the 6N11 in this amp has to be matched very well.The amp was off 1db per channel because those tubes were not closely matched.

The amp gets very hot,but i did end up selling it

hi , my first post on this site as ive only just got into valves myself ,
i just bought a headphone valve amp with the same numbers you have mentioned,
on ebay item number :250524338114 (and it was silly cheap £22)tenner for a spare valve as well ,hope this helps with you !!
i have a few things to ask you guys if you can help ,
firstly is it any good ?
can i use it as pre amp to our rig (to get that warm glorious sound )
and we play DNb (drum and bass ) would i need a certain tube or mod to do this ,
cheers ,giz

any response would be good ,only just noticed how old this post is ,derghhhh ,lol

Last edited:
Chinese 6N11 is more like Russian 6N23P-EV or western 6922/E88CC
Chinese 6N23 would be Russian 6N23P or western 6DJ8/ECC88
Chinese 6N1 is Russian 6N1P
Chinese 6N2 is indeed Russian 6N2P or as quoted – a western 6AX7 (was there ever such tube?)
Chinese 6N6 is Russian 6N6P - NO DIRECT Western substitute. Nevertheless quite good tube in right application.

I think the Russian equivalents are easier to find than original Chinese tubes nowadays and as for 6N1/6N1P or 6N2/6N2P the Russian made have also these ruggerized EV versions available but Chinese don’t.

So are Soviet 6N23P an exact drop in replacement for Chinese 6N11J as in pin for pin and no voltage changes just roll them in ?

Since the Russian tube system is a separate system from what the rest of the world has used since the early years, you should research on the web your self, what russian numbers cross ref to. I'd get spec sheets and check the pinouts before powering up. Much of what's said on the web is wrong. My tube guru friend says some of the best tubes ever made are Russian, so it may be worth it. The problem I ran into when designing a tube headphone amp was that 2 large tubes in a white follower were only enough if the headphones are 300ohms. If they were ever going to be 32 ohms, then a 6BQ5 SE and output transformer might be a better approach. Until I can afford the Sennheiser 660's, I decided to put it off.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

My tube guru friend says some of the best tubes ever made are Russian, so it may be worth it.

I still have to come across a single Russian tube I'd consider exceptional.
Mediocre at best but gladly they made stuff we did not have in Europe.
Which is nice but nothing more.

One thing about using NOS Russian tubes is that you just can't treat any of them as an equivalent of anything American or European...
That said, equivalents rarely are equivalent in the real world.....

Cheers, ;)

I still have to come across a single Russian tube I'd consider exceptional.
Mediocre at best but gladly they made stuff we did not have in Europe.
Which is nice but nothing more.

Then you have been missing out! The GU50 and the 6N2 are exceptional tubes to listen to in my experience. Can't imagine how dull and expensive life would be without them ;)

One of my best friends, Matt Kamna, is a tube Guru (here in Portland Oregon USA). I've learned a lot from him, but also largely from my own research. I don't doubt that certain Russian tubes are technically at least competitive with the best, but I tend to be a pragmatist about it. I like to use tubes that are for all practical purposes just as good, but are much more available. I'm designing and building a Line Level preamp right now using 6922's and a 6SN7. My poweramp has 6SN7's driving EL34's. My guitar amp has an EF86 (JJ version actually) front end, 12AX7 for distortion generation, 6SN7's in the tone control circuit (4 section James (passive)) and EL34's. What matters every bit as much in my opinion, is the rest of the circuit. I've got mu follower plate loads (effectively a constant current source with a low-Z output) on any voltage gain stages so the tube will be most linear and with substantially improved powersupply hum and noise rejection (plus if the tube shorts out the current is limited so minimal smoke). In my self biased (as opposed to direct coupled) follower stages of my hi-fi preamp, I'm using IXYS brand current "sinks", again for maximum linearity, PSRR and safety. I also use 0.1uF polyprop caps for power supply bypass right at each tubes B+ and B- with it's own ground return. Grounding is where most people blow it. I return everything to a common "star ground center" where the circuit ground ties to the chassis ground (must be done in only one place), but I also connect up the primary power supply stuff separately first (PT center tap to primary filter caps, and then run a wire from that junction to the star center, to minimize current surges in the star center stack. Each section of circuitry has it's own ground return wire also. I use a bolt with about 25 lugs on it for the star center. If you do the grounding right, I've found that I don't need to have actively regulated power supplies, to get very acceptable hum levels. I generally do a two section RCRC, and I'm there. The current sources and sinks make this particularly practical. I rectify and filter the 6.3 volt filament supply, but again if you were to use a voltage regulator as many do for this, you burn up roughly half the power in the regulator, so now you need a much more hefty transformer just for the filaments. All AC carrying wires, Including DC filament wires (since they will have some ripple and high current) should be twisted tightly so the electromagnetic field they emit will be largely self cancelling. My friend Matt loves the Russian GM70 output tubes and the 6C45. To see what I've done with non-Russian tubes, see my website for more info. Bob's Website

this is my latest preamp based on the 6H23 tubes....

110530p-008.jpg

110530p-009.jpg

hi , is 6n2 and 6n2p the same tube with same wiring ?
Yeah, there really isn't a 6N2 per se. That's what most of us call a Russian 6Н2П (6N2P) colloquially.

BTW, If no one has mentioned it, there is another 6Н6П (6N6P) equivalent which doesn't require rewiring, the venerable 6Н30П (6N30P or "6H30Pi"), which is distributed under the Sovtek and Electro-Harmonix banners by New Sensor, or 6Н30П-ДР (6N30-DR or "6H30-DR") which is one of the most sought-after preamp tubes out there (although I still like the 6Н6П myself).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.