6N2, 6N6, 6N11 - Please help a beginner! (long) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2011, 05:49 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default So I guess there are no Guru's here ?

So I guess there are no Guru's here that can give me an answer on this
Old 5th June 2011, 10:27 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
I still have to come across a single Russian tube I'd consider exceptional.
Mediocre at best but gladly they made stuff we did not have in Europe.
Which is nice but nothing more.
Then you have been missing out! The GU50 and the 6N2 are exceptional tubes to listen to in my experience. Can't imagine how dull and expensive life would be without them
Old 5th June 2011, 03:55 PM   #33
piano3 is online now piano3  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have never had a Russian tube that disappointed me and I have used many different types.
Old 5th June 2011, 04:35 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Right! Russian tubes are excellent for many applications, and their price remains decent, compared with some european or US tubes!...
Old 5th June 2011, 07:32 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

One of my best friends, Matt Kamna, is a tube Guru (here in Portland Oregon USA). I've learned a lot from him, but also largely from my own research. I don't doubt that certain Russian tubes are technically at least competitive with the best, but I tend to be a pragmatist about it. I like to use tubes that are for all practical purposes just as good, but are much more available. I'm designing and building a Line Level preamp right now using 6922's and a 6SN7. My poweramp has 6SN7's driving EL34's. My guitar amp has an EF86 (JJ version actually) front end, 12AX7 for distortion generation, 6SN7's in the tone control circuit (4 section James (passive)) and EL34's. What matters every bit as much in my opinion, is the rest of the circuit. I've got mu follower plate loads (effectively a constant current source with a low-Z output) on any voltage gain stages so the tube will be most linear and with substantially improved powersupply hum and noise rejection (plus if the tube shorts out the current is limited so minimal smoke). In my self biased (as opposed to direct coupled) follower stages of my hi-fi preamp, I'm using IXYS brand current "sinks", again for maximum linearity, PSRR and safety. I also use 0.1uF polyprop caps for power supply bypass right at each tubes B+ and B- with it's own ground return. Grounding is where most people blow it. I return everything to a common "star ground center" where the circuit ground ties to the chassis ground (must be done in only one place), but I also connect up the primary power supply stuff separately first (PT center tap to primary filter caps, and then run a wire from that junction to the star center, to minimize current surges in the star center stack. Each section of circuitry has it's own ground return wire also. I use a bolt with about 25 lugs on it for the star center. If you do the grounding right, I've found that I don't need to have actively regulated power supplies, to get very acceptable hum levels. I generally do a two section RCRC, and I'm there. The current sources and sinks make this particularly practical. I rectify and filter the 6.3 volt filament supply, but again if you were to use a voltage regulator as many do for this, you burn up roughly half the power in the regulator, so now you need a much more hefty transformer just for the filaments. All AC carrying wires, Including DC filament wires (since they will have some ripple and high current) should be twisted tightly so the electromagnetic field they emit will be largely self cancelling. My friend Matt loves the Russian GM70 output tubes and the 6C45. To see what I've done with non-Russian tubes, see my website for more info. Bob's Website
Old 6th June 2011, 12:09 AM   #36
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

this is my latest preamp based on the 6H23 tubes....

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th October 2013, 08:26 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

hi , is 6n2 and 6n2p the same tube with same wiring ?
Old 5th October 2013, 08:37 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
hi , is 6n2 and 6n2p the same tube with same wiring ?
Yeah, there really isn't a 6N2 per se. That's what most of us call a Russian 6Н2П (6N2P) colloquially.

BTW, If no one has mentioned it, there is another 6Н6П (6N6P) equivalent which doesn't require rewiring, the venerable 6Н30П (6N30P or "6H30Pi"), which is distributed under the Sovtek and Electro-Harmonix banners by New Sensor, or 6Н30П-ДР (6N30-DR or "6H30-DR") which is one of the most sought-after preamp tubes out there (although I still like the 6Н6П myself).

Last edited by digitrax; 5th October 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 5th October 2013, 08:54 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

thanks , i want to buy a pair to have as spare for my tweeter amp
Old 6th October 2013, 09:12 AM   #40
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
6N6P - may be substituted with 12BH7 (different heater pinout) or 5687 (totally different pinout). 5687 is electrically closer.
Goog luck!
Attached a photo herewith.

Datasheet of Russin 6N6 can be downloaded as below.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...113/6/6N6P.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6n6-comparison.jpg (55.0 KB, 94 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!