• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hum problem through one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having a problem with very audable hum through just the right hand channel from my amp. I've had a good look through past threads but haven't found an answer yet.

My Amp is a Mingda integrated MC34-A06, I have included a circuit diagram and photo of the interior.

I've done a little bit of trouble shooting already based on the other posts:
- It hums even when nothing is plugged in (obviously power and speakers are)
- Hum volume stays constant as I play with the volume control
- Swapping the 12AX7B and 12AU7 over to the other channel does not stop the hum
- The mains input wires run well away any of the right channel parts.
- I've poked everysolder joint and they all seem good
- The amp is about 1 year old so all capacitors should still be good, I think.

p.s. yes, I am a complete begginer to all this, but I have read up on how to stay safe and promise I am being over cautious. Also I have just started reading morgan jones's Valve amplifiers 4th ed so if anyone has a page referance they think would be useful that would be interesting.

Attachments

• MC34-A06.jpg
    MC34-A06.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN1114.jpg
    DSCN1114.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 83
I've made some progress, but potentially uncovered a different problem.
I started swapping round the EL34 valves and descovered that the problem follows one of the valves... so time for a new set I suppose.
but
it's the second time I have had a valve go bad in that position on the amp. last time it became much worse with the valve creating worrying 'pops'... might this be a problem with the amp or have I just been unlucky with valves? All the biasing is set up fine, so thats not causing the problem.
any Ideas? or should I just go ahead and replace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.