• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300V Tube Power Supply From 120VAC Without Rectifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I stumbled across this interesting tube amp power supply in my research for my amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/226656-832a-single-ended-tetrode-amp.html), and I was wondering if someone could take a bit of time to explain the principles of it, and it's appropriateness in a tube amp. The creator uses a 230/120VAC multi-input transformer, with the first tap on the primary side being the input, and the second tap on the primary side as the output. Usually these two are bridged or paralleled, but here they're used almost like an isolation transformer, I think:

LUGDP.png

Voltage doubler. Used by lots of older designs.

I too use the Greinacher (AKA "full wave") doubler, as it is a cost effective way of obtaining a truly high performance PSU. "Idiots", like Frank McIntosh, Saul Marantz, and Stu Hegeman, made very good use of the topology in some of the most revered "vintage" amps. ;)

Gimpy is correct about TANSTAAFL applying and only 1/4 of the RMS current capability of the rectified winding is available as DC. When the setup is done right, copper losses can be small. The rectifier winding in a H/K Cit. 2 is rated for several amperes. :D

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: Using one half of a dual primary is potentially hazardous due the potential lack of isolation between the windings. In addition the transformer must be derated 50% or more for safe (?) operation if this is done.

With the ready supply of OTS and inexpensive custom power transformers from outfits like Edcor this approach should not be encouraged.

Be aware that the quality of the insulation between the two 120VAC windings is likely not "HiPot", ie, being able to insulate 1.4KVDC. The powerline sees a lot of transient spikes, from washing machine motors turning on and off, lightning bolts, and whatnot. Requiring 1.4KV insulation seems to avoid these issues. You don't want these causing a flashover from the line into your amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Eli's suggestion is a good one - only use the secondary not the primaries for this purpose. (Primary to mains, secondaries used as you see fit.)

In your proposed approach interwinding leakage currents between primary windings can be significant, posing a shock hazard particularly if the project in question is not properly grounded for some reason. (Like the receptacle miswired or 2 conductor house wiring) This just is not a very good idea at all, I hope you are receiving this loud and clear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.