diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   New to valves & this forum. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/226596-new-valves-forum.html)

Arckivio 28th December 2012 10:28 PM

New to valves & this forum.

Hi all, as above I'm new to everything & can't wait to read any old threads I can find & see what I can learn. Hopefully I will learn as I think I already may have made an almighty boo boo!!!

All I've bought so far is a dared mc-7p pre & small mono blocs but I did try them today at a friends house using a musical fidelity x-ray. The rest of my system will come after a massive aquarium upgrade & re decorating. My boo boo is that tonight I plugged my phone into the pre's phono input & then wondered why it was playing at such a low volume!!!

Number, 1, have I killed my phono input? Number 2, I'm really confused as to why it was playing so low? Isn't a phono input supposed to have a higher gain so shouldn't it have been louder? Have I just shown what a total noobie pratt I am?

Taking the above into account, should I also stay away from the tweak thread about the dared mc-7p!!!??? :)

M Gregg 29th December 2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arckivio (Post 3302461)

Have I just shown what a total noobie pratt I am?

Yes..sorry you did ask..:rolleyes:

Regards
M. Gregg

Arckivio 29th December 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Gregg (Post 3303128)
Yes..sorry you did ask..:rolleyes:

Regards
M. Gregg

Still haven't worked out why the volume was so low through the phono input that is supposed to have higher gain, any clues?

Mooly 29th December 2012 04:03 PM

No clues without seeing it all, it would all be guessing... although several things come to mind.

I don't think you will have damaged anything either :)

Arckivio 29th December 2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooly (Post 3303146)
No clues without seeing it all, it would all be guessing... although several things come to mind.

I don't think you will have damaged anything either :)

At least the last bit gives me a bit of hope. I might not end up having to get another phono stage for it. :)

Original Burnedfingers 29th December 2012 04:19 PM

Do you have a schematic for it?

Arckivio 29th December 2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original Burnedfingers (Post 3303174)
Do you have a schematic for it?

Sorry, no I haven't. I will do a search of the net & see what I can come up with as I'm sure there's a few sites where they tweak these.

I'll try & lend it to a friend that has a turntable & see what happens. Even if I didn't damage it, I definitely think there's something wrong with it if it played a line level source at such a low volume. Anyway thanks to everyone for offering assistance.

M Gregg 29th December 2012 08:53 PM

You may find,

it has only MM not MC phono..there is quite a difference...also a line in is going into phono (turntable)..this has RIAA EQ and will distort your line signal..

If you have a schematic it will be easier to help you..:)

Regards
M. Gregg

Arckivio 29th December 2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Gregg (Post 3303511)
You may find,

it has only MM not MC phono..there is quite a difference...also a line in is going into phono (turntable)..this has RIAA EQ and will distort your line signal..

If you have a schematic it will be easier to help you..:)

Regards
M. Gregg

The input is definitely only MM, what I'm trying to determine is if there's something wrong with it because it played at such a low volume with a line level source plugged into it.

It was a mistake & I wasn't going to listen to the phono input with a line level source. The problem I have now is that I bought these but didn't plan on buying a turntable for another few months.

M Gregg 29th December 2012 09:07 PM

NB,

If you are new to valves /tubes..Please read the working with High voltage thread(Sticky at the top of the forum)..The voltages on tube gear are leathal and can hold charge after power off for some time...I'm not joking either...please take care!

I doubt if you damaged anything, however if you plug a MC into it your gain will probably be to low...so if you test it with a friends TT remember they may have a MC..

Regards
M. Gregg