• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simple hybrid amplifier (35W/8Ohm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*** LATEST SCHEMATICS ARE HERE *********************************

LINK: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tube...-hybrid-amplifier-35w-8ohm-2.html#post3418838

Hi,

I have built tube / power opamp hybrid amplifier.
Tube preamp section is CCDA circuitry from John Broskie, which drives power opamp OPA548T connected as unity-gain voltage follower.

It sounds good, has that smoothness of tube and you can listen to the amplifier for long periods of time without any fatigue.

Attachments

• CCDA Octal.pdf
    736.7 KB · Views: 263
  • CCDA Preamp.png
    CCDA Preamp.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,884
  • CCDA PSU.png
    CCDA PSU.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,883
  • Hybrid 35W OPAMP PSU.png
    Hybrid 35W OPAMP PSU.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,842
  • Hybrid 35W OPAMP.png
    Hybrid 35W OPAMP.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,857
  • DSC00464.JPG
    DSC00464.JPG
    741.7 KB · Views: 1,870
  • DSC00465.JPG
    DSC00465.JPG
    646 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
Project update

I have updated few things. Mainly, I have changed preamp to aikido with noval tubes, because of better availability of ECC83 and ECC82 than 6SL7.
There are also some changes in the power supply and power amp.

Thinking about adding EQ, because some people really need one with their speakers/listening conditions.

Attachments

• Hybrid 35W OPAMP.png
    Hybrid 35W OPAMP.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Hybrid 35W OPAMP PSU.png
    Hybrid 35W OPAMP PSU.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Aikido PSU noval.png
    Aikido PSU noval.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 476
  • Aikido Preamp noval.png
    Aikido Preamp noval.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 664
In class AB without feedback around mosfet source follower you will have much more distortion. You could use class AB BJT follower output stage, but it should have about 4 to 5 pairs minimum of parallel devices to have small distortion and high damping factor.

Simple mosfet source follower works better in class A, which I don´t want because of so much heat.

Nice concept IMO, using a power op-amp in this way for the buffer function. If I had the time (I don't) I'd be tempted to build one myself just for fun. What's the purpose of the LM317 configured as a current sink on the output? I note that you added it in the second version, but I could not find a reason for it when I scanned the OPA458 data sheet.

More power

I am thinking two options:

1) make LM3886 or TDA7294 unity-gain stable
2) OPA549 unity-gain in bridge mode configuration

Second should be doable, hopefully I can use CCS on output too woth bridge mode. BUT OPA549 is quite expensive, cca 25$. It is a lot money just for output stage. It should do about 150W into 8 Ohms. Nice thing about OPA549 is that you can current limit them with resistor, which should be usefull with bridge mode especially.

I wish you can do Lm3886 since I also have 6 pcs of it to use..also LM3875 and Lm1876. If these chips can be stable as unity gain buffers..My plan before is to have a gain of 5 and the rest is from the tube pre...but not done yet hope you will...

I suspect that with the shown Hybrid Amp schematic's series isolating 1 k and 220 pf to gnd the source impdance may be controlled enough to try the noise gain hack

the "sportiest" I would want to try with LM3886 would be to aim for noise gain of ~20 with asymptote/pole at 200kHz, which puts the low frequency zero at 10 kHz, I'd try noise gain R ~ 1kOhm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.