Rewiring that EL509 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2003, 07:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rewiring that EL509

Hey guys, it's been a while! Remember that thread about reworking the 150w Rozenblit amps for EL34s to replace my cracking and troublesome EL509s?thread

Well, Runeight was kind enough to redraw the screen regulator ckt and finally I found the time to rewire what was my new homebrew. The bias pot had opened on the one channel so I went forward with firing up the other, and you know what, it sounds great!

I'm pushing the limits with these tubes, at least 750v on the plates (around 800v tonight with only one channel), 460v screen and bias near -41v or so. I switched over to the 4 ohm taps as recommended and there was no degradation in audio.

I did the 30db mod to the integrated grounded-grid preamp and now my gain is right where I want it, finally it's putting up a challenge to my last 6L6P-P homebrew.

Questions, concerns, dire warnings always appreciated

Now if I could just get the LCD display functioning.

Cory
Old 12th November 2003, 06:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Great to hear that it worked out. I think the EL34s take alot of abuse. Plate and screen voltages are high, but I think that many el34s have been run that way for years.

Hide this!Advertise here!