Sakuma's bleeder tubes and series connected transfomers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2012, 08:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I guess if you feel like burning money why not? Didn't he write something about using WE 212s for lamps at his cafe tables?
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:22 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default 12AT7/841 Phono Stage

Looks like a very expensive active quasi constant current load on the power supply. I think one could safely dispense with the transformer which now looks like nothing more than the transformer leakage inductance in series with the plate of that 300B. I would say it might make a wee bit of sense if the supply were a choke input and the intent was to make sure the load current was always above the inductor critical current with a sanely sized input choke, but this is not the case here.

Sakuma is looking for a very specific sonic experience and his focus is on mono, and full (limited) range speaker systems. It is hard to say what the intent is exactly except to provide an interpretative performance based on what Sakuma himself prefers.

One of my friends has actually been to the cafe at my behest, sadly I no longer remember what he had to say about the experience which in itself is interesting.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Sakuma san is having his own reasons ; whatever he made , it's very different from common mistakes made by ignorant idiots or , even worse , ignorant sellers , all over the web
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

I'm sure he has his reasons, and not all of us who question his approach are ignorant idiots. I'm extremely interested in what Japanese hobbyists are doing, much more vibrant scene than here for the most part, and they have a knack for identifying worthwhile trends.

I'm a little concerned about the placement of fuses and power switches on the primary of the power transformers in all designs.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

kevin , I didn't address you with my comment ;

thing I wanted to highlight is that Sakuma is representing entirely different world and approach
whoever is having thoughts about his ignorance is certainly not familiar with his work
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

I completely agree, and I take his work and that of a number of other noted Japanese designers very seriously..

One of the things that I find fascinating about the Japanese scene is the almost obsessive attention to detail, something I am trying hard to emulate in my newer designs.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:19 PM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
One of the things that I find fascinating about the Japanese scene is the almost obsessive attention to detail, something I am trying hard to emulate in my newer designs.
One hopes (and in my case, I know) that YOUR attention to detail includes not using noisy rectifiers, properly loading the secondary of SUTs, and not running SUTs backward to use as output transformers handling signals at least an order of magnitude bigger than they are designed for.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Ouch.. Last time I checked your suspicions would be correct about what I am / am not doing..

I am wicked good at not soldering things as you might have heard..
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Whatz da SUT?
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:14 PM   #20
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

STU-001 by Tamura. Hideously expensive.

Hide this!Advertise here!