2 Stage GM-70 amp in A2... possible? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2012, 10:24 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I dont know if you could use the mu output from a cascoded dn2540etc with a da or other hi mu linearr triode underneath? Or perhaps the design that rod coleman uses?
Imho i think its probably not worth it for the extra db or two.
Enzo
Old 19th December 2012, 10:51 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

wokie dokie... point taken. :-)
Old 19th December 2012, 05:16 PM   #23
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent77 View Post
That design produces about 10W in A1... And the stacked SMPSs are a bad idea, IMHO, as the noise also adds up.

As for the JAC music schematic posted by joda above, it's a joke meant to sell a ton of expensive iron to naive people.
The noise seems to be so minor that it has little to no affect on the sound. Just check out the videos of it playing. The time of SMPS is here, if you can find the right ones.
Old 19th December 2012, 06:02 PM   #24
ColinA is offline ColinA  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If god had intended us to to use S.M.P.S

He would not have invented mercury-arc rectifier valves (tubes)

J.M.H.O.

Unless you are scared to use them.
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:50 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

In MJ third Ed page 138, he discusses using a 6SN7 or 7N7 with a CCS in place of the load resistor. This enables you to use a flat load line at say 8ma and you can swing more than 300 volts pp that way at very very low distortion. (Ed. You would need to use the other half of the triode as a first stage)

I've been considering that circuit to drive an 845. It seems better than the 300B from a cost and distortion standpoint. I've not tried it yet and don't know how well it will work.

Also, I don't know if it will drive the big triode without a cathode follower. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Last edited by Captn Dave; 23rd December 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Mu followers seem to be a four letter word these days, but if you have 1000+v to play with, need a flat load line and low driving impeadence they seem to fit the bill to me. i use one in my gm70, 6e5p for both load and gain stages with a 25w 15k vishay bulk foil as the load and 22.5ma/180v. b+ is regulated 700v (dont suppose it needs to be) down from 930 for the outputs, sounds pretty good to me, though i intend to try different gain valves and topoligys in the future.
I hope to put some measurements together over christmas.

enzo
Old 24th December 2012, 12:53 AM   #27
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Haven't analyzed the 211 vs GM70 close enough to know if they require different drive, but on the surface they are similar.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T...S5-PSUincl.jpg

Thomas says he gets a bit of class A2 from the 211 and that is 2 stages san SMPS.
Old 24th December 2012, 05:52 AM   #28
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikie22 View Post
Was wondering if a 2 stage amplifier would be able to achieve A2. Any ideas?
Sure. If this was a question on an exam, with no other specs attached, I would say no problem. I will define the input requirements so I can easily achieve that.

If you're actually trying to design something, then the answer is "depends". You need to specify the input to be used and the definition of "stage". And any other restrictions you want to place on it, like how far into A2 are we talking? How much distortion, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!