Most exotic SET power amplifier - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 11:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I kinda like the Frankenstein presentation, though, it does raise several safety concerns... Good to hear that you're planning to cover the transformers. I'm curious to see the final product.

The iron does indeed look custom wound. Bravely done.

~Tom
Safety concerns? why?
Everything has already been covered but will be uploaded tomorrow.
Every iron piece has been wound manually, it is custom built.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #12
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Can you give us more details regarding the design?
Old 14th December 2012, 01:14 AM   #13
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow - I love it, nicely laid out and much more interesting that your 'fathers' tube amp.

please keep posting more details !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:44 AM   #14
garbage is offline garbage  Singapore
diyAudio Member

very nice corian chassis. must have taken some time to layout and design. love the irons and the 816 too!
Old 14th December 2012, 02:34 AM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I don't see a 1:1 correspondence between tubes and transformers... wondering if there are solid state devices doing amplification?

_-_-bear
Old 14th December 2012, 02:39 AM   #16
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

If I ever win the lottery I'll ask you to build me a pair of them...

Bravo sir, Bravo.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:01 AM   #17
12B4A is offline 12B4A  United States
diyAudio Member

I see some covers in the background. That's going to look pretty sleek when they are on. Are those ducts on the front outlets for fans? I'm not seeing a whole lot of ventilation elsewhere on the chassis.
Old 14th December 2012, 07:37 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Good to see these things finally getting finished. They look awesome!!! Nikos has been raving about them for some time now
I m really curious how they will perform with his big Jadises
Old 14th December 2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Cassiel is online now Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

I think the word exotic applies well here:

2. Intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange

I can see a LOT of work there, and nicely done. Congrats.

Love the rectifiers. I don't understand the need for all those transformers but that is another matter.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:22 PM   #20
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I don't see a 1:1 correspondence between tubes and transformers... wondering if there are solid state devices doing amplification?

_-_-bear
I think some of those transformers are chokes, and others are to power the rectifier filaments. When you have your own transformer winding machine and can produce whatever you need on demand, you have more options.

A high power SET amp will necessarily be heavy. They are usually split into multiple units, like having the power supply in its own enclosure. I designed a yet-to-be-built GM70 amp that would weigh about the same, but is split into 3 units. Personally, I think the weight of this amp is actually reasonable for a Class A single-ended amp of this power level, be it tube or SS.

It's cool. Guests at the house always inquire about the big SET amp with bulbs that glow brightly (mercury vapor rectifiers and GM70 thoriated filaments). It's always a good opportunity to show them your favorite music played through them. Breathtaking sound. Nobody ever asked about that small, efficient 400W Hypex amp sitting in the corner. That one was an exercise in pure practicality and accurate reproduction, but it never gets used these days.

Last edited by cotdt; 14th December 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!