Most exotic SET power amplifier - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2012, 01:56 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petavgeris View Post
Speakers do indeed produce high distortion compared to the one of the amplifiers, but experience has told me that the speaker AND the amplifier seen as a whole, account at least to the 80% of the sound we perceive.
Room acoustics account for the majority of sound quality we perceive, followed by speakers. And then distant 3rd is the components (amp, preamp and source). In most cases such as contemporary transistor P-P amp and preamps, their affect is so small as to be indistinguishable in double blind test when level matched. That's probably why we have SET fans.

Quote:
Plug on this amp a moderate speaker and you will listen good, plug a good speaker and you will listen very good, plug a very good speaker and you will listen extraordinarily good. You can't avoid the influence of the speaker but the critical role belongs to the OUTPUT STAGE. This is what I have gained from my experience building amps.
Yes, speakers do matter a lot.

Quote:
The objective of this amp was to give something unique in terms of performance AND aesthetics, both at the same time.
It turned out to be very exotic.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:21 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
True... but why bring this up? The "signal path" used as a term, in most circles, does not include the power supply,...
I didn't mean to criticize, I admire the amount of work involved with this amplifier and I know he meant "no coupling caps". BUT saying there are no capacitors in the signal path is simply not true.

The tubes draw pulses of current from the last capacitor in the power supply chain. These pulses are modulated by the signal. So, that cap is very much in the signal path and its influence on the sound is sensible!

Note: CCSs *do* isolate the the tube from the power supply, but it's not the case here.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:45 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

And what is a large anode choke, but a "passive" CCS ?
Old 19th December 2012, 09:04 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Indeed, but Peter did not use a large choke on *every* anode here, did he?
Old 19th December 2012, 10:48 AM   #95
12B4A is offline 12B4A  United States
diyAudio Member

How can you have the benefit of choke loading the anode if you are using interstage coupling and single ended series OPT configuration?
Old 19th December 2012, 10:56 AM   #96
Farouk is offline Farouk  Greece
diyAudio Member

Nice work but i think is what they say "overbuilt".
Old 19th December 2012, 11:43 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Exotic performance? I think not. Certainly not in context of high fidelity. Maybe within the universe of SET amplifiers.

Amazing build? Absolutely!
Old 19th December 2012, 12:20 PM   #98
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

would be interested in physical size/measures ?
and maybe precise weight
Old 19th December 2012, 01:59 PM   #99
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Weight - 2.5cm hernia.
Old 19th December 2012, 02:12 PM   #100
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

well, I can't hear it, but I can feel the weight at least...and imagine it if I know the size

Hide this!Advertise here!